Anyone else interested in oil heaters?

I have a few Coleman lanterns as well, “Sunshine of the Night”!
Not as many as you but, I have a LOT of weird other Coleman pieces, picnic table (with stools) stupid amounts of coolers, a few stoves, one heater(old style) sundry other small items.
I think its almost as bad as Weberitis, I had to stop, I was looking for laMPs and decided I was spending too much. Caught that one in time. Gave away a few to family members.
To be honest, right now the few I have left are buried in a back corner of the garage in a locker! Spring will see a large purge of stuff! I’ll keep the two or three Coleman lanterns as well as the oilers. Much will be knackered or given away. I can’t keep all of this stuff!

Last edited:
What is the best way to clean out the inside of the oil pot? It looks quite nasty in mine. I was thinking of soaking in Vinegar.

What is the best way to clean out the inside of the oil pot? It looks quite nasty in mine. I was thinking of soaking in Vinegar.
I used this for the first round. It seems to turn the some of the metal it touches green though.

The site Duane linked to up above suggests a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar & water. I'm trying that now.

I’d start with the vinegar/water solution or citric acid/water. Fortunately, all my founts have been fairly clean, just needing external cleaning. I have used this method for cleaning lantern parts, warming the solution will speed up the process. I soak them in an old crockpot I bought at a garage sale.

350FB947-B876-4E09-89CB-A8C999B41E95.jpg557CD39B-2422-4438-92C0-1154D8A216FD.jpg029D57B5-31BA-429E-8E9F-3B64C339D228.jpg

My wife broke her foot and it has slowed me down. I also found some holes in the fuel tank after soaking in vinegar. Had to order some tank repair epoxy. I also need a fuel container for kerosene and find a place that sells it as I don't want to pay $10 / gallon.

Most of mine is in primer now with the base still soaking in the vinegar.

I did a dry pre-burn to level the wick.

That looks like it is coming along great. I got the tank repair putty but it still needs more cleaning. Is that high heat primer? If so what kind and from where?

It was original to the 1527. I was fortunate that it was still intact, they usually get lost.
It’s really nothing than a drip pan, there’s no heat issue underneath. I’m sure one could easily be made, the lip just crimps around the legs.

That looks like it is coming along great. I got the tank repair putty but it still needs more cleaning. Is that high heat primer? If so what kind and from where?
I used these, both from Menards

And this is what I used to seal the tank. I've used this in oil lanterns

Back