Anyone done this (beef ribs) ?

Anton

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone bought the whole beef rib roast and cut off the ribs for beef ribs? How was it?

It looks like a pretty good time, wondering how many folks a nice meaty rib rack would feed (similar to the one pictured in this procedure beef rib roast

I've got a family bbq coming up this weekend, I usually like to practice things before a main event. This seems like it may be too big to practice with though?

Anton

There's a beef rib article here on the Web site:

Beef Back Ribs

Had to get these from a good butcher, still in the Cryovac. You don't want the ones you see at the supermarket where the meat is all carved out from between the bones.

Regards,
Chris

They are almost done, they look great. I tried some and it's WAAAAYYY too salty. I guess I must have put too much of the rub on.

I rinsed them off and threw them back on the smoker for a bit more time.

Anton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:
I tried some and it's WAAAAYYY too salty. I guess I must have put too much of the rub on.
Anton </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done this before. For me, it was over-estimating how much meat these things have on them. Ever since, "ve used no more then a table spoon of salt (added seperate from the rub) to season. However, one time I had a rack with about an inch of meat on top. Used 3 tablespoons for that.

I've found the best way to handle the "too salty" problem is to omit the salt from my rubs. Kevin Kruger pointed me in the right direction by suggesting to salt the meat as you feel appropriate, then apply your rub. Sometimes it's nice to get a little heavy with the rub without worrying that you'll ruin the meat with too much salt.

For larger cuts (butts, brisket) I just lay on the salt a little heavier, then shake on the rub. Remember, even after it's cooked you can still add salt to satisfy your taste, but getting it back out is nearly impossible.

Just my $.02

Back