Anybody use their side burner?

I use mine around 10 or so times a year. It has a surprising amount of heat output. So don't underestimate it. Stinky stuff like fish and other stuff go outside.

That thing looks perfect. For what... you say, well foe starters you can burn through 6 quarts of charcoal in a minute.
Sear steaks. Jiffy pop moon landings. Or chinese food in a hurry.
I can't ise this but I want it.
Will it work on 11wc pressure?
don't know about 11wc pressure. but here's the specs. it's for "home" use (outside). i'd never install this inside .

it's only 1/2" inlet.

Spec​

• OD 8-5/8″ Dia
  • 1/2″ Gas Pipe Inlet
  • 100,000 BTU/HR
  • Round Shape 23 Tips
  • Natural Gas Unit
Please adjust your propane tank knob or add a regulator to control the fire level.

For Chinese Wok Range, Stock Pot Range, Grilling, Stir Fry, etc.

a 200,000 btu home appliance (tankless water heater) requires a 3/4" pipe for home pressure (7wc) so this should work with basic home 3/4" stepped down to 1/2" to drive the 100k btus on this NG one. i seriously doubt i'd ever need/use 100k btu. 30k-50k is more than enough for woking and achieving authentic results.

people buy these to make beer and smelt at home. and some do so for woking for the ultimate home wok hei flavor.

I use mine for the foods that would otherwise stink up the house- stir fried peppers/ garlic/ onions, shishito peppers, etc.

We used a regular side burner once in the last 20 years for cooking up some Thai food with the awful smelling, great tasting fish sauce. With the IR burner I now use it way more than the actual grill so far. Hot dogs, hamburgers, sausage, and steaks of course. I haven't even been taking the cover all the way off the grill since I am just using that IR side burner.

I think Weber is pretty committed to their non-infrared sear burners on the G2s.

Anyone have experience comparing the Weber G2 sear burners to the IR sear burners you find elsewhere?

I purchased a Genesis II LX-340 because I thought I would like and really use the side burner. Turns out that I have lit more charcoal than anything else. Here in KC, there is always a breeze and makes the side burner useless. I have tried to fabricate wind breaks with limited effect. One that is low enough to clear a skillet handle is less than effective.
So, at this point, no I do not use mine. An electric hot plate works better.

I could not disagree with this more.
I have used the side burner on many Webers including the Spirit 330
that we are currently using this season. We use our side burner 2 or 3
times a month, and might have the wind be an issue once or twice a year.
The area you locate your grill must be in an area with absolutely no wind
break.

Have been using my side burner pretty regularly, but tonight I was trying to get 1/4" of peanut oil to temp for fish tacos and could not get any heat out of the burner. Flame was there, just not enough. Two weeks ago had no issues. Last week cooked down some tomatoes for sauce/freezing. Today, no love. Moved everything inside.

Spiders? Tank regulator screwed up? Any ideas?

Have been using my side burner pretty regularly, but tonight I was trying to get 1/4" of peanut oil to temp for fish tacos and could not get any heat out of the burner. Flame was there, just not enough. Two weeks ago had no issues. Last week cooked down some tomatoes for sauce/freezing. Today, no love. Moved everything inside.

Spiders? Tank regulator screwed up? Any ideas?
Your sig says "No gas grills in sight~ (well, maybe one gas grill....). What model is it your hiding?

Now, if Weber came out with a retrofit IR/sear burner, I would be on board. Are you watching the competition Weber?
Why would Weber add something to fix a design flaw? The last thing a Genesis needs is an external sear burner.

When I had a Genesis 330 with the side burner and sear burner in the cookbox, it seared steaks as well as searing over charcoal. Every time I see one of those IR sear burners it makes me think they needed to add it to make up for not being able to sear properly with the grill itself.

I used my Genesis side burner to start my chimney. And, mostly used the actual grill part as a griddle with my Little Griddle. Then I got my gas assist Performer and was able to sell the Genesis and with the proceeds replace it with a Q1200, gas AND charcoal Go Anywhere, and a 14 WSM. Oh, and I also got custom wood handles/rollers/vent handles/wheel hubs for my SSP.

Why would Weber add something to fix a design flaw? The last thing a Genesis needs is an external sear burner.

When I had a Genesis 330 with the side burner and sear burner in the cookbox, it seared steaks as well as searing over charcoal. Every time I see one of those IR sear burners it makes me think they needed to add it to make up for not being able to sear properly with the grill itself.

I used my Genesis side burner to start my chimney. And, mostly used the actual grill part as a griddle with my Little Griddle. Then I got my gas assist Performer and was able to sell the Genesis and with the proceeds replace it with a Q1200, gas AND charcoal Go Anywhere, and a 14 WSM. Oh, and I also got custom wood handles/rollers/vent handles/wheel hubs for my SSP.
It sounds like you really made out on that 330! I had a 330, but until you try an IR burner you really can't compare. It hits over 1000 degrees in about 60 seconds.

When I had a Genesis 330 with the side burner and sear burner in the cookbox, it seared steaks as well as searing over charcoal.
Oh, I love my sear station and I agree. It would just be nice to do a steak without heating the entire grill and also have a dual purpose burner like Napoleon.

I bought my Spirit thinking I would and could use the side burner all the time. Turns out, the dang thing runs too hot on low for much good, it’s almost never used.

Back