Anybody tried to cook Burnt Ends using just the point?

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi. Need to take an appetizer to a dinner in about 2 weeks. Thinking burnt ends would be nice.

Rather than cook two whole briskets has anybody tried doing just the point sections? I have a butcher who will sell me just a flat or just a point.....

Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work but then again I'm sure not a burnt end guru...

Thoughts?

I would that the point, with its extra fat content, would be less likely to make good burnt ends. That is a guess, since I have not tried this.

I always use the point for burnt ends. Usually cooks 2-3 hours longer after removing it when the flat is done. I cube it put it in a pan and throw it back on the smoker. Add sauce for the last 30-45 minutes.

Sorry. I wasn't clear what I'm trying to do.

Instead of taking a packer, cooking it, separating the point and then finishing the point to make the burnt ends........

I meant to start with the point section only. No flat.

Yep, that will work fine. You'll just need to cook it for a long, long time to get the crusty exterior that you normally get from returning an already cooked point to the smoker.

For those interested in the usual process: Burnt Ends.

Sorry. I wasn't clear what I'm trying to do.

Instead of taking a packer, cooking it, separating the point and then finishing the point to make the burnt ends........

I meant to start with the point section only. No flat.

Ah ha. You had me scratching my head. I knew I was missin something.

I used the point last week to make burnt ends. When the flat was done, cut off the point, cubed it, added a 1:1 mixture of bbq sauce and beef broth, and threw if back on the smoker until they were done. Got rave reviews!

Points or caps are normally used to make burnt ends. I go a bit further and use flats too. I usually cook 2 full briskets at a time, all for burnt ends. After resting, I slice into 2-3 lb sections then seal and freeze. To cook burnt ends, I cube 1-2 packets of thawed meat, mix some saved au jus, AJ and BBQ sauce (Uncle Rays) in a foil covered pan then cook in a 250-275 oven for 90-120 mins or until the meat melts in your mouth.

The kids love it, the neighbors & friends love it, I love it. 'nuf said. :)

I've done several points only as I've cut off the flats to make pastrami ... Figure the point will take you nearly as long to cook as the whole packer since it is the thickest cut of the packer .... Good luck withies burnt ends , should come out great !!!

I've done several points only as I've cut off the flats to make pastrami ... Figure the point will take you nearly as long to cook as the whole packer since it is the thickest cut of the packer .... Good luck withies burnt ends , should come out great !!!

Thanks. There's the answer. Have been meaning to make pastrami for almost 2 years now and never get around to it. Great idea.

Back