anybody into guitars?

It seems to me, that almost all country/western player have Tele's. I think maybe cause it has a tone that's good for twang ? Not a country artist, but Roy Buchanon is a great example of someone getting a certain tone from a Tele.

Lynn please read that pro audio article I posted above. It has a lot of the info you are looking for with types of wood, tone, etc....

And for a quick tie-in to the world of BBQ...

For those using Ernie Ball strings... The late, great Ernie Ball was Sterling Ball's father. And Sterling... we, in bbq, probably know him better as Big Poppa of Big Poppa Smokers.

That's some sweet and bad azz knowledge right there Bob! I did not know that and am super glad you shared that. I love the fact that music and BBQ has close ties! Makes me proud to play Ernie ball even more as well! For the price and how far they have come in the technology dept. w- coated strings/winding style it makes me wonder what the future of grills/smokers are going to be like hahaha. They already look like UFO'S... wonder whats next!?!? :rolleyes:

That's some sweet and bad azz knowledge right there Bob! I did not know that and am super glad you shared that. I love the fact that music and BBQ has close ties! Makes me proud to play Ernie ball even more as well! For the price and how far they have come in the technology dept. w- coated strings/winding style it makes me wonder what the future of grills/smokers are going to be like hahaha. They already look like UFO'S... wonder whats next!?!? :rolleyes:

Who's to say it wasn't aliens who taught the Caribbean natives the art of BBQ in the first place? :rolleyes:

There has always been a special relationship between music and food. Blues, country and barbecue go way back. If you were on the road -- especially prior to the ’80s -- you ate a lot of barbecue. You often hear, "Play somethin' greasy," which is a phrase that came out of Memphis and that all musicians understand. The pride in turning out a really righteous rib is very close to the rush you get from playing a particularly badass solo.

New product idea -- a guitar case that smells like barbecue when you open it.

Jeff

It seems to me, that almost all country/western player have Tele's. I think maybe cause it has a tone that's good for twang ? Not a country artist, but Roy Buchanon is a great example of someone getting a certain tone from a Tele.

Speaking for myself, I have four Teles (no Fenders). The Telecaster is the most elemental electric guitar and maybe the most versatile. Leo Fender set out to make a rugged replacement for an acoustic guitar and succeeded magnificently. You can't make a solid body from less wood. It's extremely responsive to your pick and your touch. It will stop a medium caliber round and it's almost indestructible. Roy Buchanan is a perfect example of somebody who could make a Tele talk. I have other acoustics and electrics, but I take a Tele out to play about 90% of the time and it gets the job done.

I completely get it that people love Les Pauls, or 335s or Gretsch 1620s or anything else, but for me, a Tele has the sound that makes me wanna get down.

Jeff

Steve is my instructor. He knows Tony Levin fairly well. Tony has contributed to some of Steve's CDs. Here's a song Steve wrote in honor of Tony Levin, titled "Tone Eleven" (get it? :) ). The guitarist over to the right is Chieli Minucci from SpecialEFX.

Well, I bought a guitar. Got a mint 2014 Gibson Les Paul Studio. 120th anniversary edition. Bought it last week on eBay and drove to southwestern Michigan to get it. Very pleased with purchase. Thanks for all input. Now I need my kids to give me a music lesson.
(Cant really call it a refresher cuz I didn't pay attention when I was there age)

Solid choice, Lewis. You have probably now realized that the ideal number of guitars to own is equal to the number of guitars you have ... plus one.

Jeff

Lew please take pics of the beauty! I finally got off my dads name (timothy) and got back on mine haha. Jeff I LOVE Fenders!!! I have always wanted numerous models, but sadly did not go that route. I love the feel of the neck and the action on them. The sounds you can get out of fenders are amazing as well. I am stuck on PRS right now bc of the versatility of sounds you can get out of the pickups. I play a lot of rock/metal, but do occasionally love to play clean/blues/jazzy riffs/runs. A good example of tones you can get out of my guitar is.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1uEgbTaqA
The guitarist name is Mark Holcomb he plays for a band called Periphery and Haunted Shores. For the heavy sound check out the 13 min Mark . For the clean sound check the 13:30 min mark. I am big on seeing bands that can reproduce the record sound and these guys are spot on live!!! If you want to listen to a heavy song from periphery with out singing/screaming haha check out the 39:00 mark. Its probably not for majority of the crowd hahaha, but if you want to see a great all around technical guitarist imo give it a listen.
Now for those that don't care for the heavy stuff here is some of Marks clean guitar work.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1b3fpOg1k .. Its a 9 min song but the sound he gets is very beautiful imo.

Have a rockin Friday!!! Brandon

Slightly off topic, but I just picked up a Shubbs capo for my acoustic. Awesome minimalist capo with adjustable tension, works like a vise-grip.

Slightly off topic, but I just picked up a Shubbs capo for my acoustic. Awesome minimalist capo with adjustable tension, works like a vise-grip.

The Shubb is the original quality capo. It's a great little machine and will give you years of service. (BTW, there is a guitar cable and strings company named George L's. Any relation? :))

I think that sounds like something I need for my 12 string. I have one that works, but there's just something about it that doesn't feel right.

Back