Anybody have this to sell?: Weber Genesis 1000-5000 (19-5/8" W x 13.3/4" L) Bottom Drip Tray 40968012

You guys have any luck in repainting your old one, where it has chipped usually at the bottom circle.

You guys have any luck in repainting your old one, where it has chipped usually at the bottom circle.
I had to use JB Weld epoxy putty and a few coats of paint to fix a few small rust holes on one. I would probably recommend that if you use of these grills, or buy the eBay painted sheet metal tray, you cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and clean it often. As Bruce mentioned this is going to be a limiting factor in the deep cook box usability going forward, if no other sources pop up.

Yah, that Ebay one looks like it would work good, but just not last long. The problem is the material used. If it was made out of stainless or was coated in ceramic like original ones, it would be great, each of those choices at least double the price tag. If someone had access to a shop and could setup a machine to stamp these things out of Stainless and make a run of a couple thousand, I would think they could make a pretty decent profit on them.

So, what do you think these could sell for? In stainless
I am not sure, but for a stainless lifetime one, I think $75 would sell quite a few. It would solve one of the soft spots on these grills and there is a lot of demand. Most people can get most replacement parts for these grills except for the grease pan.

I spoke to that guy selling on ebay. Told him it was highway robbery for the carbon steel. Said if they made it out of stainless for that price I'd buy it. Course he never responded back.

Telling you guys, at some point, someone with the moxxy, a weber grill enthusiast, who happens to have or work for a machine shop, is going to make their own dye, press a bunch of these bad boys out of 304 SS and be laughing all the way to the bank. We just got to keep promoting the need!!

Yah, someone will eventually do it. Or possibly an established company, like quilimetal, honsgo, or Stanbroil. Yah, some Chinese outfit.

This is on my list of chores. Basically take a few pictures of the part along with some dimensions, tell them to use 304 stainless and see what proposals come back. Bare minimum without a die, you can break the thing up into some core components that can be made on a brake and then riveted together. Or an enterprising employee at weber can go into the basement at weber and boost the die they used 25 years ago.

This is on my list of chores. Basically take a few pictures of the part along with some dimensions, tell them to use 304 stainless and see what proposals come back. Bare minimum without a die, you can break the thing up into some core components that can be made on a brake and then riveted together. Or an enterprising employee at weber can go into the basement at weber and boost the die they used 25 years ago.
The die at Weber probably wore out and it as deemed not profitable to make a new die and the part was discontinued. With CNC cutting any enterprising sheet metal shop could fabricate a nice replacement part. Thing is, what are you willing to pay?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about cost after what I just dumped into rebooting this old 3000 I have. I would think 75 though for a properly done part as a one off at a local shop if i had them do a batch. There are really 2 levels of pricing. Flip price and hobbyist price. I fall into hobbyist pricing.

Back