any tricks to greatly speed up a chimney starter?

Yep. A Weber chimney on even the Performer's small gas burner works really well. I'll time it next time I cook, but my recollection is a few minutes with the burner on to get the bottom coals going then something like 10 minutes before I'm ready to cook (less with lump).

ROFL - yeah, I guess I should try it before recommending anything
icon_razz.gif
. Point noted (maybe to speed up the bottom coals, we can pour a little gasoline on them too
icon_biggrin.gif
) - Back to Pinny's post, sorry for the interruption

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:
once the coals on the bottom catch fire, use your electric leaf blower to give them a boost. Not that I have tried it or anything..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Regina S (Michigan):
Hi Pinny, here is my setup.It may sound like overkill, but this is what I do.I place 4 cubes on the bottom of the chimney starter,pour in some lump charcoal half way, then add 2 to 3 in the middle, then fill the rest with lump to the top. The middle cubes I place near the side holes.If there is virtually no wind to help get the chimney going,I have access to them and hit them with my lighter.Generally it gets going fast, about 10 minutes it is roaring.Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gonna try this tonight. I usually am not pressed for time so I don't want to invest in a weed burner when starter cubes are less than $3 for a 24 pack. At the same time, I do want a way to start the coals quickly when I'm pressed for time.

Here's an alternative. When your buddy calls at 5:45, say, sure c'mon over. Then defrost a package of pulled pork in boiling water. Tell him that with more warning you could have done him some fresh ribs.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Alternatively, if you are not going to cook for long, I.e.just cooking a few steaks or burgers, use just a half a chimney with lump charcoal. It burns real hot and fast.

Originally posted by mk evenson:
I have a 2 burner propane camp stove that I roast coffee beans on. My team mate told me to forget the paper in the chimney just put the chimney on the propane burner. It is so fast!!!! and easy.

I use a single burner propane stove the ind that screws to the top of a small propane cylinder modified the top by making a square that fits on and snaps in place out of angle aluminum from h.d. to support the chimney crank it to full blast, never timed it but doesnt take long, and a tank last quite awhile, lighting 20 ish for a minion start 2-3 minutes, with the stand the stove came with its pretty stable.

The secret to getting the chimney done faster is either use a turkey fryer on high until all the coals are burning (this will considerably reduce the life of the charcoal chimney) or start the chimney in the usual way and then increase the airflow using something like a blow dryer. You'll have lit coals in no time at all.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig hess:
i took the advice from some of the posters here and soak some paper towels with cooking oil...little to no ash and gets the coals going pretty quickly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to be a lot of overkill here, but to each his own. As Craig suggested, I use a sheet of paper towel with some oil (not soaked, I just block the oil bottle with the crumpled towel and invert it three times adjusted the towel block each time). The towel clump makes instant HOT flames. I think that using one midway in the chimney would quickly start the top section and almost no ash involved -- or expense. I haven't tried this, but I definitely will (though I have no real need for FAST starts).

Rich

I bet you could get it started around the 5 min mark with 1 cube and a hairblower. Let it burn for 2 min. Then hit the chimney with the blower for 3 mins.

Lighter fluid. It'll torch that chimney in no time.

Yeah, okay. I just put the chimney on the Performer and turn on the gas for a couple minutes. It seems to speed things up for me. It'll still take a few minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by craig hess:
i took the advice from some of the posters here and soak some paper towels with cooking oil...little to no ash and gets the coals going pretty quickly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my method of choice too. I like using 2-3 paper towels with some cooking oil on them, which leaves very little ash, even if you put the chimney on the charcoal grate in your grill. I save some used cooking oil from the deep fryer in an old milk jug for this purpose.

Works like a charm, and usually lights briquettes in < 15 minutes. Combine this method with a Weber chimney and I don't think you can get charcoal lit much faster than that.

I also like to start the charcoal in the chimney on the charcoal grate, then go back inside and prep whatever I am grilling while the coals heat up. Multi-tasking saves time spent waiting for the coals to get ready.
icon_biggrin.gif

I picked up a used Performer off Craigslist for $75. I didn't know if I would like the propane system or not but I LOVE IT. And now I have a nice table and storage area and a shelf under it for my chimney starter. Get a Performer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Note I do not use newspaper underneath because I don't like the ash flying around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stopped using newspaper myself a long time ago for the same reason - too messy. I've also never tried the starter cubes. Instead I make sure we get paper bags at the grocery store every so often. I use a half of a brown grocery bag rolled into a tube, bent into a circle and tucked into the bottom of one of my Weber chimneys. Light the bag with the propane torch I have specifically for that purpose and I'm good to go in 15-20 minutes depending on wind. The brown bags are far less ashy than the newspaper method.

I use the wax coated cardboard that is used for produce. You can get it for free at any grocery, Sams, or Costco. About a 2"x 4 " piece set on the grate in this shape ^ so it doesnt fall thru.

Back