any tricks to greatly speed up a chimney starter?

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone have any tricks to greatly speed up a chimney starter? Typically I'll just use a single starter cube under the chimney, and it'll be ready to go in around 20-25 minutes.

Would using more starter cubes make it light faster? Has anyone tested 1 cube vs 2 vs 3 vs maybe 5?

What about putting cubes throughout the chimney and lighting them all at once?

My goal is under 9 minutes. Think it's possible without a weed burner?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have,
Pinny

Pinny, I use TWO firestarter cubes when lighting charcoal in the chimney for grilling, but nowadays use a torch for lighting the top of my wsm charcoal.

As to "under nine minutes", I assume you are wanting a whole chimney all lit in that time? I think I even give mesquite lump a few more minutes than that, but not much. Briquettes are typically much slower in lighting, of course, but Stubbs light up pretty dern fast relatively speaking.

Hi Pinny, here is my setup.It may sound like overkill, but this is what I do.I place 4 cubes on the bottom of the chimney starter,pour in some lump charcoal half way, then add 2 to 3 in the middle, then fill the rest with lump to the top. The middle cubes I place near the side holes.If there is virtually no wind to help get the chimney going,I have access to them and hit them with my lighter.Generally it gets going fast, about 10 minutes it is roaring.Hope this helps.

I generally use two cubes and it'll take around 15-20 minutes. No offense but it seems like a waste of cubes to get it to light only a couple minutes sooner. Why do you need it in 9-minutes? I would agree that if you want it done that fast, get a weed burner.

Pinny, I place the chimney starter over the burner of my turkey fryer or on the burner of my gas grill. hot coals in about 10 minutes.

Alot of times, it's really last minute. Like a friend will tell me at 5:45 that he can come by, but he has to leave at 6:45, so every minute counts. It seems every other time I grill, I'm down to the wire time wise.

Maybe a torch is the way to go. Used a weed burner once, but it was really really loud and scared the neighbors. What's a good torch that doesn't sound like a plane taking off?

Pinny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cecil:
Pinny, I place the chimney starter over the burner of my turkey fryer or on the burner of my gas grill. hot coals in about 10 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This worked well for me, until the dogs bum rushed my Duo and chewed up the gas lines. I think they prefer charcoal cooked meat.

-mike

Always use at least 4 fire starter chunks. If that's too slow then I get the propane torch out and tickle it a little till she's ready

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

I use 3 sheets of newspaper sprayed with a light coating of cooking oil and crumpled lightly.

Works every time, ready in about 15 minutes, cheap.

The trick to starting any fire is more air or easily igniting fuel. I just have a couple old broken patio blocks placed a few inches apart. Just use newspaper and this lifts the chimney up in the air to get more breezes blowing into it and allows more air because it flows between the bricks and up into it easier. Fuel cubes may be faster, I have never tried them, but news paper is free!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Regina Simone:
Hi Pinny, here is my setup.It may sound like overkill, but this is what I do.I place 4 cubes on the bottom of the chimney starter,pour in some lump charcoal half way, then add 2 to 3 in the middle, then fill the rest with lump to the top. The middle cubes I place near the side holes.If there is virtually no wind to help get the chimney going,I have access to them and hit them with my lighter.Generally it gets going fast, about 10 minutes it is roaring.Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Note I do not use newspaper underneath because I don't like the ash flying around. Just start the lighter cubes from the bottom of the chimney starter. Also I purchased a firplace bellow for when there is no wind, I use this to get things going also.

I don't own it (or even tried it) but ...

Max BBQ Eco

I've been thinking about it, so if you do get it and it works, give me a heads up....of course, if it stinks, um... Sorry
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Moore:
If I am in a hurry, I simply use a second chimney starter and only fill each one half-way. It works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, spend the extra two or three dollars and get the Weber chimney starters. I have used several other brands and they all pale in comparison to the Weber. It is simply a better product. It get the coals going much quicker.

i took the advice from some of the posters here and soak some paper towels with cooking oil...little to no ash and gets the coals going pretty quickly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Moore:
If I am in a hurry, I simply use a second chimney starter and only fill each one half-way. It works for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good reminder! I haven't done that in a while, but it is faster and more efficient in that the bottom briqs aren't burned down as much by time the top briqs are ashed over.

I have a 2 burner propane camp stove that I roast coffee beans on. My team mate told me to forget the paper in the chimney just put the chimney on the propane burner. It is so fast!!!! and easy.

Mark

Back