Any La Caja China owners out there??

I do not have one. However I have a friend that does. He uses his mostly on holidays for the big cooks: small whole hog or goat. I can tell you this, it does a excellent job. The best Cuban Mojo pork that I have ever had came out of a LCC. If I did not already own a large offset I would probably purchase a LCC myself.

I do not have one. I have no doubt that they would offer a very even heat and be easy to use. However, one thing bothers me about them. Since they are in effect a sealed oven, there will be no smoke flavor at all. The only reason I see in them is that you can cook something outdoors. Our Weber Smokers, on the other hand, allow us to cook low and slow outdoors and also bathes our meat with the wonderful flavor of smoke.

Just one man's opinion, of course...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I had a La Caja China #2 for several years; had to let it go when moving cross-country in the RV. I've also extensively used an offset pit, a Large BGE, a WSM and Weber Kettles.

The La Caja China turned out to be great for things that would otherwise require a huge rather expensive pit; I fairly routinely did pigs, multiple turkeys and chickens. It was dead easy to use; just follow the instructions printed on the end of the box. Downsides were that it cooks at around 350F and it's hard to go lower but many people cook at around that temp these days anyway on ordinary cookers, and there's no smoke. However, there's an add-on pellet-burning smoke gizmo for those who want smoke.

So although I didn't use it near as much as smokers and grills, when it came time to cook the 80# pig it was the best tool available for the job.

www.lacajachina.com

>>>So although I didn't use it near as much as smokers and grills, when it came time to cook the 80# pig it was the best tool available for the job.<<<

John;
That makes absolute sense. Thank you for those comments.

NOTE to self:
I do NOT need a lacachina, I do NOT need a lacachina, no, no, NO!!!
:rolleyes:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53
:wsm:

Back