Another Software Upgrade This Week

I read that pellet grill sales in 2019 were 3.5% of total grill sales with gas getting the highest percentage of buyers. This articles says that sales for pellet grills grew by over 50% last year. That still puts pellet grill's share at only about 5%. https://www.npd.com/news/press-rele...utdoor-cooking-to-the-next-level-reports-npd/ Most members in our FB group have gas, charcoal, or stick burners in addition to their Smokefire. A small percentage are first time grill owners. Pellet grills are growing in popularity but you still need electrical power to run them, and they're computer controlled. Those characteristics may put a ceiling on the percentage of pellet grill owners. BUT - I know nothing about marketing so I could easily be totally wrong.

I can drive around town and the ONLY grill most houses have, is a pellet. Generally of the T brand. I’ll see pellets on about a, spitballing here, but 10-15:1 ratio to kettle or charcoal, and maybe 5:1 to gassers.
And Blackstones! If you base it on shelf space being allocated in major outlets, pellet grills and Blackstones are taking over. Gas is still an option, but you have to look to find regular charcoal grills.

I can drive around town and the ONLY grill most houses have, is a pellet. Generally of the T brand. I’ll see pellets on about a, spitballing here, but 10-15:1 ratio to kettle or charcoal, and maybe 5:1 to gassers.

Not scientific, data driven numbers but an educated guess. I drive down alleys a lot looking for old cars generally or checking up on finds
Not sure what town you live in but I live in Atlanta and there are zero people I know who own a pellet grill. Lew gave you the stats the pellet market will never surpass the gasser market nor even get close its a 2nd grill generally for smoking which is a good thing to get people to do ribs or brisket or whatever which they may never have tried to do before they may not want to do a WSM or a UDS and deal with charcoal which takes some effort. The pellet grill even though I don't own one is an easier way to get into smoking set it and kind of forget it depending on what brand you bought.

Yes coming from zero market share years ago pellet grills have great growth pay close attention to Cooks earning report coming up end of month. The last report they sold less grills but they had raised the prices so the revenue was a bit more I expect and probably wrong their report will be a disaster like Webers the container costs are going to kill them. Whats more important is Traeger who is the leader in pellet grills is to see what kind of growth they had maybe an indication of where the pellet grill market is going yes more competition on the lower end so still growing but maybe bad news for the higher end pellet grills who knows.

Most people that I know around this area that are casual grillers, own pellet grills, with most being Traegers. I would say that next would be gassers, but it seems that for at least those that I know, once the gassers are gone, they are replacing them with pellets. Just my observation in my immediate area.

It seems hard to deny pellet grills are the wave right now. That's why I think Weber just has to stay at it - and bring out a pellet kettle, too!

Blackstones also seem to be getting pretty popular, but I would not want one as my only outdoor cooker. There are already imitators getting in the act for this type. That seems a sure sign of a growing market.

It seems hard to deny pellet grills are the wave right now. That's why I think Weber just has to stay at it - and bring out a pellet kettle, too!

Blackstones also seem to be getting pretty popular, but I would not want one as my only outdoor cooker. There are already imitators getting in the act for this type. That seems a sure sign of a growing market.
I had to break down and buy a Blackstone, 36”. It’s not as high quality as I had been led to believe, the griddle itself seems to have high and low spots. But I love it, it’s a breakfast cooking son of a gun!

Back