Another Skyline!

Finished up the Skyline, think it turned out well. I'm going to go ahead offer it for sale and work on some cedar slats for the side tables and bottom.

Observations.
-Grill was very dirty but cleaned up pretty easily. Spent half the time on the firebox as my previous grill and it still came out nicely. I think taking pictures of the box in bright sunshine helps-it looks better than it really is in the pics.
-Lots of rust. Had to replace the 2 horizontal frame members, and the z brackets and condiment basket were pretty pitted. Lots of POR and rust encapsulator holding this together.
-New Hongso grates. Stainless FBars were dirty with a little rust but very good shape otherwise. Cleaned them up with a 60 grit flap wheel on the grinder. Not perfectly clean, but much better than black. They look worse than they really are in the pics.
-A little bit of the hood fade on the top front edge of the hood. Curiously, some of the fade is a circular pattern around the size of a quart paint can.
-I love the tank covers! I know its another 12.00 of costs, but think they are really sharp, at least on these 000 grills.
-My red kettle emblems don't look as good as others......my hands are just about too shaky to paint those. Gonna have to get my wife to help!

Obligatory pics:

Aodr95R.jpg

kEQZJ7V.jpg

pg2JvM4.jpg

6koeadZ.jpg

LG8jy56.jpg

x8729th.jpg

cBnbpcZ.jpg

zmZJ6yq.jpg

AeqtADL.jpg

Really Nice Ralph.i picked one up back in April, but on tear down found so much rust I was a bit discouraged. I set it aside for a bit as I had to get one ready for my DIL so I opted for a Silver B. Now the Skyline looms in the corner of the shop. I guess I’ll have to get back into it. The frame and manifold had significant rust issues and I decided to look for doner grills to supply those when I came across the the Silver B’s. All the dura wood and condiment rack etc looked good initially it was the internals that got me. Only gave $30 for it so not too terrible. Pic is from the original CL add
1BoGGZ5.jpg

Dave, what gauge sheet did you use?

Sorry for the late reply .... I just saw this ..... I used 18. You can use 16, but it really tests the limits of the HF brake.
18 is much more user friendly.

Great resto. Hope you get every last $$. It is a bargain.

Ralph,

Sorry that you will only be in the Skyline Club for a while - maybe only a SHORT while! Great job on that, though. I am most happy that you saved another Skyline giving it a new lease on life. Someone is going to get a very sweet grill:cool:!

I have a line on a $150 skyline. I am not interested at $150, but I emailed the guy and asked if he would part with the condiment basket for $20. He said he wanted to sell the grill complete but would get back to me if he changed his mind....At $150 for an unrestored grill, I think I might have a chance. It is too far to drive, but I could pay him an extra $10 to have him ship it. It has been on CL and FB for 5 days now.

I bought a condiment tray on Offerup last week for 12. When I got there to pick up (2 hr RT) he also had a left trim for my Silver B project. Took 5 for it. It was a good pick!

I don't blame you Tony. They are unicorns and a lot of the Skylines you will come across are missing them these days.

So, it doesn't seem like you really gave it much of a chance on the open market. You have a lucky grand kid. I hope they are old enough to know what they are getting.

Back