Another question from a newbie?? How much smoke

TimO

Thanks again in advance for the info. I was curious if people use smoke every time they cook on the wsm. There are some meats that I just don't personally like with a smoke flavor. Just wondering if i'm the odd man out, or is it common just to slow cook without the smoke for certain meats? Thanks

Tim
I only smoke now and then, the majority of my cooks are without smoke. It is not common to add smoke in Australia. When I do add smoke generally I will only use one chunk of wood.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always add smoke. If I just want to cook the meat, I can do it easier in the oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I've been known to do my own version of chinese ribs which, traditionally speaking shouldn't be smoked. I've done them both in the oven and on the wsm (with varying amounts of smoke). Long story short: they lack something when done in the oven, and a hint of smoke adds depth and nuance that improves the product.

Dave
After looking at your home page I can understand why you like smoke. I guess it is in your veins. In Australia we have a different style just as the Asians and many Europeans do.

Which way is the best - depends on where you are and what you were brought up with I guess.

Regards

I've considered cooking ribs using just rub and charcoal or possibly lump but I just can't pull the trigger.I can't get past the thought that I might as well throw them in the crockpot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Meneou:
I've considered cooking ribs using just rub and charcoal or possibly lump but I just can't pull the trigger.I can't get past the thought that I might as well throw them in the crockpot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lump itself is definately going to add flavor that the crock pot wont. To each his own Tim, its your meat, if you dont want wood dont use it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Meneou:
I've considered cooking ribs using just rub and charcoal or possibly lump but I just can't pull the trigger.I can't get past the thought that I might as well throw them in the crockpot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not at all that I do cooks where I would normally include wood but instead leave the wood out, it's that I do many sorts of things where smoke simply doesn't work.

Brandon, I agree.Tim, do what you and your family like, that's all that matters. I've been helping a friend who is new to the smoking scene. I built him an Ugly Drum Smoker and he is a very good cook but he likes thing real smoky and spicy. His wife is just the opposite. I suggested he try some ribs with just the charcoal or a very, very small amount of apple wood and maybe foil hers real early to see what she thinks.

"Fire Good.... Smoke Better !!!"

Man has been cooking meat over wood since, well; fire.....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't see leaving the smoke wood out as being just like an oven or crock pot. You're still cooking over fire and the charcoal does impart some smokey flavor. I use very little wood anyway and cooking without it would be no big deal to me. It's really just a personal taste thing. Do what you like best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
I always add smoke. If I just want to cook the meat, I can do it easier in the oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have too agree also, but, that doesn't mean I smoke the h*** out of everything... on some things I think a little smoke goes a long way.

Back