Another Newbie

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
I have been enjoying this sight for awhile- doing a lot of homework. You guys have so much advice to offer. I am excited to join you.
I ordered a wsm 22.5 through the vwbb link to Amazon on Friday night. It should be here tomorrow. I hope it is the 2014 model.
I called a local orchard and they're pruning right now, so I am going to pick up some wood before the weekend. They said they cut it a few different ways, including "chunks" for their kamado grill. If the wood they give me is fresh cut, how long should it season before it is usable? I can find bagged stuff elsewhere if it is better to wait.
Can you tell I'm a little excited about this?

I know firewood needs a couple of seasons to dry before it's good for burning. But I bet at least 6 months if it was real green when they cut it...

Welcome Scott! You don't need to let it dry for 2 seasons before you use the orchard wood.
Try a bit after about a month and work from there.

Welcome to the group. I generally let my green wood season 6 months but I have used it fresh from the tree. Try a little without the bark if it's green.

welcome. now that's a great idea -local orchards for fruit woods. congrats on the new pit bro. want pics...

don't lift the lid...

welcome. now that's a great idea -local orchards for fruit woods. congrats on the new pit bro. want pics...

don't lift the lid...

It came! I have been working overnight-on call for several days since I ordered. It has the 2014 upgrades. I plan to assembletonight and fire it up this weekend. Roadside chicken thighs for first cook without pan so hopefully it will aerosols more grease. I got the orchard idea here- from you guys.

That was supposed to read "aerosolize." My phone is getting on my nerves. It keeps acting like it knows what I want to type better than I do....lol!

Back