Another newbie amazed by all the info on this site

Rich Hirth

22.5 bought last weekend, may be a while til I have a free weekend to test it out. :(

Suggestions for the first few cooks appreciated! I'm thinking of some chicken first (whole for the night I make it, pulled to save for later in the week) and then pork butt the second time around.

Rich

Welcom and enjoy that big boy. As for a first cook, whatever floats your boat. My first was to whole chickens. Turned out great. Second was two pork butts and a whole packer brisket. Again, went off with out a hitch other than a lack of sleep. Going to go to an ATC so I can sleep. Good luck.

Welcome - and have fun experimenting, anything and everything will come out delicious when you get your smoker mechanics down (and w/the wsm, that shouldn't take too long at all). Enjoy.

Welcome to the forums Rich! You will find a wealth of information and very friendly, helpful folks here!

Welcome aboard. I would go with chicken if you don't have a lot of time or pulled pork if you do. Either way you're gonna love it.

One recommendation: If you do chicken, either cook at a higher temp (300-350ish) or sear the skin after the cook so you don't end up with rubber skin.

Welcome aboard Rich! Chicken is a good choice for your first cook. Don't forget to take some pics and show us how you did.

Back