Another New WSM User

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just want to thanks for having such a great resource on this site. I bought my WSM last week and made my first Chicken on a Throne over the weekend. Huge success. So thanks to all the great people on this site with all the very helpful information. This weekend looks like Salmon with Brown Sugar Rub. I am working my way up to my favorite pulled pork.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the one forum on the web where the only flames to be found are in our charcoal chimneys.

Have a great weekend and get some smoke in your eyes. I'll be having a sleepless Saturday night doing a practice cook for my first contest.

Ken

Howdy Mike!

Welcome to a great little spot! Pork butt ranks as one of my favorites as well and is really easy to do on the venerable WSM.

Ken....

Where you competing? Good idea to practice! Get your times down and go thru the ENTIRE routine of boxing your presentation as well. Good Luck!!

Mike
Since your going to be doing salmon the CarDog BBQ way let me add a few refinements that we have come up with since Chris got the technique.
In the first step leave the rub on for only a couple of hours instead of 3 to 4. Rinse well and let set so the flesh will get tacky.
At this point put a light coating of brown sugar, dill, and summer savory (no salt) back on the fish. Cook to 155? internal. This recipe will be part of the Southern Pride Anything But
winners recipe, in Sunset Mag this July (or so they say) and Rick Browne from BBQ America series on PBS soon.
Hope you enjoy it, it is better with the second light rub.
Jim
CarDogsBBQ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Since your going to be doing salmon the CarDog BBQ way let me add a few refinements that we have come up with since Chris got the technique...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Holding out on me, huh Jim? I'll have to update the topic on the Web site. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris
Not holding out, just trying to improve,
we never hold out on you!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

Mike,
No need to "work your way up" to a pork butt.
I say go for it right away!
The beauty of the WSM is how easy it is to use, and how forgiving it is for beginners.
After reading this site for a month or two before buying my WSM, for my ver first cook I went all out and did an overnight cook, using the Minnion method, and the Mr. Brown's Pork Butt recipe all listed here.
It was fantastic.
Although that salmon Jim mentioned above sounds mighty tasty too!
Enjoy your WSM. And do a pork butt overnight. You will be amazed.
HJP

Thanks for the tips, I will be doing the salmon on saturday and will do the pork saturday night late. I have two boys going to porm on saturday so nothing better to do but stay up all night anyways... it's going to be a long weekend..but a tastey one..

Kevin,

I'll be cooking at the State Center, IA contest in two weeks. That one is close enough to home that I won't have to drag all my gear too far. Looking forward to getting the first one behind me.

I did a practice cook last weekend for shoulder and brisket and feel pretty confident about their timing. Ribs are still a bit of a problem as I generally don't allow enough time for them but I'm happy with how I prepare chicken and turkey (an extra category at this contest).

I've been experimenting with lots of rubs and methods for several months and feel like I can hold my own against the experienced contestants. The executive secretary here at work has been my willing and well-fed lab rat and has given some great feedback on what she feels works and what doesn't.

Thanx for the reminder not to overlook rehearsing the appearance aspect. I bought a bunch of styro clam shells three or four months ago and have dabbled with presentation with them but it's time to get serious.

Have yet to decide what to serve in the Anything But category but I've got a couple of ideas that look like they can be done under field conditions.

All I need to do now is come up with proper sounding team name. That's probably been the hardest part of the process so far!

Looking forward to meeting you in person at some contest down the road.

Have a great weekend.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back