Another Impressive Entry: Pit Boss Titan

I watched the video quickly but didn’t see a smoking tube.
But two reasons you might.
1. To add more smoke.
2. Some pellet grills have a fan only setting for cold smoking. So the fan running circulates the smoke from the pellet tube.
I know what they are used for but it seems odd to use one in a promo video for a pellet smoker. Almost like they used it just to create smoke for the video.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.21.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.21.54 AM.png
    476.9 KB · Views: 17
I know what they are used for but it seems odd to use one in a promo video for a pellet smoker. Almost like they used it just to create smoke for the video.
Good eye on that, Greg! I think you are probably right that they slipped that in there to generate more smoke for the video and figured nobody would notice!

Even so, it does seem like a grill with a lot of great features. Quality of construction seems to be the question some have. I hope I can see one in person soon at Academy and try to evaluate at least superficially.

FINALLY GOT TO SEE A TITAN

I had to run errands this afternoon (when I would have preferred to work on my many backed up grill projects). Academy Sports was along my route, so I dropped in to see if they finally had a Pit Boss Titan to look at. They did!
IMG_5132.jpeg

Here are some impressions from a very quick look:

This pellet grill has a more substantial and imposing look than other Pit Boss models I have seen. It is an Academy exclusive, but I imagine there will be other somewhat similar models at other vendors. I am guessing that for right now, this is Pit Boss’s top dog. It is certainly a reach for them into a higher orice range:

IMG_5133.jpeg

The two big positives I see are the flexible stainless grate setup and the roll open lid that I would think would help with reducing heat loss when opening.

IMG_5137.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpeg

This a pretty impressive looking pellet grill with many good features in addition to what I have noted. A few cautions I have after seeing it in person are:

There is a lot of painted steel. If you can’t store your grill in a garage or other place out of the elements, be prepared to fight rust.

The flexible set up stainless shelves are a great innovation, but on the this one, they were a bit balky on moving from level to another.

The stainless shelves were also a bit thin, but they should still be fine for bbqing. rcplanebuyer grill grates they ate not!

I guess I would say that if someone offered to give me either this Titan or a Traeger Ironwood, I would jump on the Titan. But if the choice was between the Titan and a Weber Searwood, I would want the Weber.

I've not seen these showing up much in online testing. Read about them. It does seem like a very impressive pit with some really great innovations. I am sure PB will come up with a way to move this into other outlets. Picking a store for exclusive rights (especially one so limited regionally) is a HUGE error and they will learn the folly of that. So, I am sure PB will find a way around this...............soon.
Not having seen it, or the Weber I can't say which way I'd go. I have seen the Traeger Ironwood XL. Helluva pit there. IDK what if any new ground it breaks in comparison to the PB or the Searwood. Honestly have to go back and look at it again.
My thinking is once you have something that breaks so much "new ground" (no matter who's name is on the the badge) you are taking on huge risks. Ex, what happens after warranty period when these companies are no longer required to support it with parts and supplies? (Some remember my issues with Weber on the Summit refusing to support it even under warranty).
At least when you have a unit that uses good old tried and true tech, you know exactly what you can expect, if the time comes and you cannot get parts from the mfgr at least you know you can turn to aftermarket and find "something" to keep your Q going. Not so in these cases. As no aftermarket company is going to make specialty components for such singular use. So, say 5 years down the road the auger bites the dust. There is no way you're gonna retrofit a generic auger, or hopper assembly into one of these pits. (well maybe the Weber as it looks quite conventional). So now you have a 250lb $1300 albatross on your neck.
As for the painted steel? Depends on the "quality" of that finish. If it's as good as the finish quality on both of my pits, I doubt there is much to worry about. Especially with at the least moderate care.
Anyway just my ramblings

Seems like this Pit Boss Titan made a big splash when it came out, but there are so many new grills that it is hard to stay prominent in the public eye. I think you are right, Larry, that Pit Boss may regret their decision. Academy carries and promotes a lot of their products, so maybe Pit Boss owed them a “halo” model.

I don’t know, but I think the auger, igniter and controller are likely to be typical Pit Boss and maybe even that there are some generic ones that would work.

Along that line, I have to replace the igniter on my Landmann pellet kettle (sold at Sam’s). The good news is that it and some other parts seem to be generic and readily available - at least right now. I found an identical igniter on eBay for 12 bucks.

Now the bad news. Unlike my Recteq, where replacement of the igniter was pretty easy, trying to access and remove the igniter was a nightmare. I finally had to resort to cutting the wires. I am not sure how I will ever get the new one installed. So, at least in the case of this Sam’s Landmann, there is a difference, although the Landmann does have some thoughtful features.

Have never seen a Landman. I know in both my units it's not insanely difficult but it's not as easy as say replacing the igniter on an old Genesis. On both units, the entire hopper has to be pulled, then fully disassembled to access the auger tube and then the igniter "tube" and set screw to hold it in. Snake the wires through, reconnect and remount the hopper assembly.
Not impossibly hard but certainly not "easy".
From what I see of the Titan, the auger is pretty unconventional. It's an "uphill" design, with the outlet pretty far above the burn pot. Nothing conventional there. Once the warranty is out and PB is no longer required to have parts support, I see no way to simply, convert it to a more "generic" design.
Same with the Traeger. Nothing conventional there either. Both, innovative, and likely to perform VERY well. But, parts support is the scary part here. I don't want to be "burned" again

Maybe its me if I am spending that coin its gonna be the Weber Searwood I would not need the 36" but that model is the same price as the Pitboss. Once you go over a grand that is a different buyer IMO as I said before in the Traegar conf call their was resistance once the 1k mark was crossed. Thats why I think Weber was smart to keep the 30" at $899 are their cheaper pellet grills of the same size yes but I doubt people who buy Webers are worried about 3 bucks.

Meant 300 bucks obviously.

Last edited:
Of the 3 the Searwood looks like the "safest" long term bet should something go wrong. Thanks to it's more "conventional" hopper/auger/burn pot design. It seems the "innovation" is above the burn pot. Which IMO is the safest bet. All the other stuff could be easily fabricated or subbed in for

Back