another first timer - pulled pork

Philip Madden

TVWBB Member
IMG_1216.JPG

I finally became a pork puller! It was a couple weeks ago actually but I've been too busy to post. Well, the results were freakin' fantastic!

For my first try i went with a smaller piece of meat than usual, about 5lbs. First trick was finding the right cut. The butchers over here have different cuts, but luckily my butcher knows what a picnic is. I had him cut me off the best part of the picnic into a "mini-picnic."

I used the Renowned Mr. Brown from Smoke & Spice. Smoked it with some hickory. I estimated that this mini picnic would take about 8 hours to cook but it ended up taking 10.5 hours.. or at least that is when I pulled it off. It could have gone for probably another 45min to an hour but I had to get it off and pulled for some guests. Internal temp was 183F (aiming for closer to 190f, but was relying more on the probe test). It ended up pulling just fine and was super moist!

I was a bit worried what these Belgians would think of pulled pork but everyone seemed to be digging the pig, although they said that it was a bit too spicy. I do have to say that I too thought the black pepper in the Southern Succor rub was a bit too dominant, but I could still eat that all day.

I served the PP with some coleslaw (which they all really loved), salad, Carolina-red sauce, and some cornbread I cooked on the kettle.

All in all it was awesome, and as soon as we get a new freezer (in a week or two) you better believe it will always be holding some PP.

Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences on this forum, it continues to be the greatest source of hunger inducing info on the web!

You can see pics of the cook here

and my blog post (more in depth) here

Looks good. I can't wait for my little one to stand near the smoker.

Having a strategic reserve of pulled pork is really important. If you get a vaccuum sealer, it stores for a long time and the flavour retention is great.

Philip,

Great job for the first time. Now you can start tweeking the recipe and find exactly what you like. Enjoy the WSM.

happy that things worked out well. looks great from here. i'm sure that your little helper had a lot to do with the success of the pp.

This looks GREAT my friend! It never ceases to amaze me at not only the smoke, but looking at pics from another country like Belgium! I could not help but notice the Amarillo hops in your freezer too!

thanks for the comments guys! My little girl sure did make it better!

Brewing and que'ing certainly is a great combo. I of course had some of my IPA with the PP and it was a great combo. (for the brewers: a 95% munich malt IPA with Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo. somewhere between an english and an american IPA)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
I could not help but notice the Amarillo hops in your freezer too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I keep some amarillo around to remind me that I am still american and need some good hops now and then eventhough I live in "the land that hops forgot."
BTW I was a big fan of Ale Nuts Radio while it lasted!

Hey Philip, Great looking piece of pork! Just wondering what kind of briquetts are you using? It looks like you have two different types.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Just wondering what kind of briquetts are you using? It looks like you have two different types. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, there were two types in there. They are both coconut briquettes though. The rounder (kingsford-like shaped) ones are what I normally use. Long even burn and they stay together very weel to reuse. The square ones are "fair-trade" briquettes that I have been trying out. They burn well but you can't reuse any leftover briquettes because they just crumble into nothing. I am trying to use them up. Both come from a Costco style store over here called Colruyt.

Great Pork and great post. I am going to try to make a small shoulder also. Do you recommend bone in? Also, do you foil it at anytime? I don't want to mess it up.

Alexander, I have yet to foil a pork butt. Bone in is usually cheaper to buy, so I buy bone in, but boneless will cook as easily. Pork Butts are simple. Figure on 11/2 - 2hrsa per lb at 250* , till an internal of ~195* and you will have pulled pork. Good luck.

Back