Another Cold smoke

Steve Colby

TVWBB Member
Well I had some pulled pork requested for tomorrow. Due to the temps I wanted to be able to keep an eye on it instead of going over night. Well lets just say at 9:30 this morning it was just slightly cold out.
SSPX0404.jpg

Here's a look at what I started with.
SSPX0405.jpg

SSPX0407.jpg

SSPX0408.jpg

SSPX0409.jpg

Finished product to follow.

Is there anything more beautiful than the sight of blue smoke rising from your WSM in the early morning light of a snow-covered landscape?

looking good. but am i the only one that read cold smoke and thought this was going to be a post about smoking cheese?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Is there anything more beautiful than the sight of blue smoke rising from your WSM in the early morning light of a snow-covered landscape? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> ummm, yes, Gary... there is. But I'm not gonna tell you what it is.
icon_wink.gif

That thing next to the wsm is my smokey joe. with a water pan in it that belongs to the ecb. I needed to empty out my water pan and didn't give it a thought until it was hot. so I set the frozen ecb water pan in it and poured the hot remains into it.

That chair can be tricky. Especially after a few beverages. i guess with the temps we had today I don't have to worry about the drinks getting cold.

Here is the finished product
SSPX0410.jpg

SSPX0411.jpg

MMMMMM MMMMMMMM Hopefully there will be left overs. Maybe I will just hide some.

Jim, LOL!!! It's hard to convince my wife when I sit in that chair I'm actually doing work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Steve! Whatever you do.... DO NOT sit in that chair next to the WSM!!!!
It's a TRAP!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang good lookin grub Steve!

Steve is my buddy and summer next door neighbor. You may remember him as the lucky stiff who picked up a vintage WSM that had been used about twice for the whopping sum of $20.

Lucky rascal - and top it off to the fact that he is married to a beautiful and incredibly intelligent woman - he's got a lot going for him!

Pat

Thanks Pat. Everyone at the lake loved it. Even have left overs. Vacuum sealed them and into the freezer with most of it.

Not sure I have got my $20 worth of use yet. I suppose I better throw some more on and keep on smokin.

Looks great, the weather here in ND gets that cold too, did you run the vents 100% and how much charcoal did you use? I'm gonna be doing 2 cooks a total of around 60lbs raw for an upcoming event and will have to do it with temps around 10-20.

We will defeintily make it happen. I am looking forward to it. THere are things I would like to try. Hoping for a whole week maybe even a little longer vacation while you are here

Thanks
I ran the vents somewhere around 35%. The wsm ran at 275 the whole time. I used a full ring of charcoal and no water in the pan. My wife and I had to take of in the afternoon for a while so I added about 15-20 briquets to ensure the temps from dropping while we were out just before we left. These were about 7.5-8lbs a piece. They were on for about 10hrs.

I've never really had a probablem smokin in the cold weather. Only one time did I need to keep a close eye in things and added charcaol a few times. That particular time I was running lower temps and it was windy out. Things still turned out good, it just took forever.

You sure do. IMO it is by far much better than Oberon. It is probably my new favorite but the cost will keep me from buying it often.

Back