Another Charity Project: Restoring a Genesis S-310 2013-15

I have a couple E310s waiting to be worked on. I will have to wait until spring however. How did the storage compartment look on your grill? Was there any rust?

It wasn't too good:p

29itfd.jpg

vs. Restored:

sw7nex.jpg

If you go back to the earlier pages you can see where I used replacement custom made stainless steel bottom & back pieces and POR-15 and some grinding to restore the side pieces. With the stainless parts my friend made, this one was still restorable. The bottom probably was too far gone for grinding/rust treatment. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is whether the legs are rusted away. Down here in FL they often are. Since the legs are part of expensive side frames that are not easily replicated, if they are gone the grill is probably not worth restoring.

Last edited:
I'll bet you and your friend could probably begin selling those SS custom pieces and make a few bucks selling them as replacements for the junk steel Weber uses

Yah, I agree. Rust is all too common in the storage compartments of those grills.

Yah, I agree. Rust is all too common in the storage compartments of those grills.

Agreed. That closed cart is just a dust, dirt and moisture trap which breeds rust. I once had a char broil rust out completely there and in the firebox in less than a year.

You just don't see that kind of rust very often with the open cart design. My 2 vintage webers sat out in the elements uncovered for years and just had some minor easily repaired surface rust on the frames.

Weber was smart to start offering the open cart as an option on their newer models again this past year. It looks like a heavy duty frame that will really last too.

Back