Another brisket noob here

Bill French

TVWBB Fan
Add me to the list of those who'll be smoking their first brisket this weekend. Picked up a 9lb packer's cut (frozen) yesterday and put it in the fridge. Here's the plan using a combo of Franklin's method and advice gathered from the fine folks on this forum...

Trim the fat to approx 1/4"
Rub with salt and pepper
Set WSM at 250* w/water in the pan and hickory for smoke
Place on the top rack of the WSM fat side down
Smoke until internal temp reaches 140* (probe will be in the flat)
Continue (unwrapped) until internal temp reaches 195* and check for doneness (probe test and jiggle test)
Remove with done, wrap in foil and place in a cooler for 1 hour

Now I've read a lot of opinions and finally concluded with the steps above as being the best plan of attack to increase my odds of success. For me, it seems the trick with brisket is the fat content. I understand you want to keep a decent amount of fat on it for protection but I really hate taking a bit of food and finding even a little bit of fat in it.

Should be an interesting and educational cook. Thanks for reading and feel free to offer any tips and/or encouragement. :)

I don't quite understand your post when it comes to "..smoke until internal temp reaches 140*". What are you gonna do then?

I don't quite understand your post when it comes to "..smoke until internal temp reaches 140*". What are you gonna do then?

I just meant that I won't be adding any more wood at that point. I've heard from many that the meat will not take in any more smoke when it reaches 140*.

Meat can continue to take on smoke for quite a while. Ever had over smoked food? Smoke ring formation stops around 140* IT.

When the brisket probes tender, take it off the pit and let it vent for about 15 minutes to stop the cooking process. 1 hour rest isn't long enough IMO, it will still be way too hot and dry out quickly when you slice it.

Properly rendered brisket fat is yummy.. you'll see.. :)

I just meant that I won't be adding any more wood at that point. I've heard from many that the meat will not take in any more smoke when it reaches 140*.

Gotcha. John's right. For instance, if using a log burning smoker, one of the reasons for wrapping or tenting meat is to stop it for taking on any more smoke. However, although smoke ring development and smoke adsorption are two different things, relatively cool and moist meat will adsorb smoke better and that is also best for development of the smoke ring.

Good luck with the brisket.

Typically I do similar to what you are doing except I just load up the charcoal ring with KBB and put 5 or 6 chunks of hickory in there close to the edge. I'm not really sure when they stop smoking. Generally the KBB burns pretty clean and you really aren't getting much more smoke. Definitly let it sit about 15 minutes off the heat before you wrap it to rest it.

I use mesquite or red oak with beef. I did a hickory brisket once and didn't care for it. But, that's a personal preference. Don't be afraid of a good brisket rub. I would let the brisket cool down for 30-40 minutes before wrapping and putting in a cooler. Good luck.

Several of you say to let the brisket cool down a bit before wrapping and placing in a cooler, I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense, I'll do it. thanks!

Back