Another '05 Genesis Platinum C rehab

Thanks Sam, I'll give it a try.

Just got off the phone with Weber - my lid has rusted out from the inside so they are sending me a new one under warrantee. So, guess I'll be doing a restore rather than a replace! Unfortunately, they said they no longer make the stainless lid and are sending me a black one. :mad:
The black one is the better choice. The SS lids have the inner liner made of inferior steel which will rust. The porcelain ones don’t and will last much longer. I have dealt with quite a few SS lids and prefer the porcelain hoods anytime.

The black one is the better choice. The SS lids have the inner liner made of inferior steel which will rust. The porcelain ones don’t and will last much longer. I have dealt with quite a few SS lids and prefer the porcelain hoods anytime.

Yup, I agree.

The SS lids have the inner liner made of inferior steel which will rust.

You mean like this: ;)

QCdSDwQ.jpg

Glad to know the new one coming is better. I still like the look of the stainless hood better though, so I might try to separate the stainless from the rusted liner and wrap it around the black hood. Nothing to lose by trying...

Last edited:
I think the new black hood will be the exact same size as the stainless hood, just won't have the liner. There is nothing to stop you from removing the liner from the stainless hood and just using it that way. Only thing is that you might find you get some tempering discoloration in the hood.
That being said, I think you are going to find you like that ceramic coated hood. Very easy cleanup and trouble free.

The SS hood will eventually discolor when the inner liner is removed but you can still use it that way. But the enameled hoods are just easier to clean.
I got rid of all my SS lids with the grills I flipped and keep the colored enameled lids to myself. Right now I have a blue lid on my 05 Genesis Platinum.

Just to be a contrarian ;), my vote is to keep the hood in your Platinum stainless. It just seems to fit with the whole stainless frame aspect. While I also actually like the light gray trim and “monochromatic” look, I could see using black as a sharper contrast.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that porcelain hoods look great and are easier to clean. I just think the uncommon “Platinum” look is worth preserving. If your inner liner is too bad for you to tolerate, I would just cut it out and accept a little tinting that may occur to your stainless hood.

In any event it is all fun and whatever you really like is what is important. Keep us posted!

Back