An ABT Observation

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
So in an attempt to perfect my ABTs I tried something new this past weekend. While shopping for the ingredients I decided to forgo the standard cheep thin bacon and purchase center cut bacon instead. My thinking was that because it is a better, meatier cut with much less fat it should make the ABTs even better. Well to my suprise this was not the case. The cooked ABTs had a "burnt" taste with the Center Cut bacon-not the usual delicious bacony taste I am used to. In retrospect I believe the more meatier bacon doesnt like the 2 hour low n slow cook. Too much meat and not enough fat I guess. Oh well. another lesson learned.

We had the same experience... We got thick bacon and expensive ones. Then we tried the cheapest bacon there was and they taste better than ever. The bacon is thin and as it cooks it tightens up nicely and don't need to smoke/cook for a long time.

I also found out that thin bacon works best. Seemed like the pepper was over cooked by the time the bacon was done. All part of the "try somerhing different and see what happens" mentality I love in smokin and grillin.

Mike

The bacon was not thick but because it was Center-Cut it was much more meatier and with very little fat to it. Cooked over a long period of time regular fatty bacon will render the fat, shrink and crisp up but this meatier bacon just cooked to a hard crisp and tasted burnt.

Back