Ambient Probe Holder

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I hope this is the right place because this is definitely a gadget. I screwed up and left my 12 year old wooden probe holder in the Smokefire and pushed it to an early demise. This happened last week after a high heat run and when I opened the lid the probe holder was smoking. Bad bad sign. Once it cooled down I picked it up and the top piece split. No repairing that so I made 2 new ones. One for me and one for my grandson's kettle. This is a very simple woodworking project. I use it because it's easy to move around if I move the meat or if I want to map the temp in my grill/smoker. The original proved useful for getting it in the right place in my 18.5 WSM when I loaded up the top rack.
Probe Holder New.jpg
I glued the two pieces together, ran one countersunk screw in the bottom to lock them together, and drilled the hole for the ambient probe. I need it for tomorrows cook. It's white oak but any hardwood will work fine. 2.5" X 2.25" base with a 1.25" vertical piece. The picture shows the broken one, the bottom screw, and the ambient probe. Before I got the ambient probe I used a meat probe and that works equally as well. I confirmed that with Thermoworks to make sure I'm giving correct info.

Last edited:

Back