Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the baskets at Cooking.com (and they ship to Canada unlike Amazon for any Canadians who may be interested).

The baskets are nickel plated steel and they look quite sturdy with the support bars on the bottom. Perhaps they are even sturdy enough for a butt and I think 15" wide would be just right.

Neat baskets, thanks for the picture Darrin. I'm going to find out how much those pizza screens are locally then make a decision. Maybe I will buy some pizza screens for smoking peppers and some of these baskets for nuts.

I'm glad you liked the nuts Darrin. When I get home I'm gonna spritz some of mine with hot sauce like you and Nick suggested. It sounds really good.

The second batch has had a week on the counter in a sealed Tupperware container. I taste compared the first batch and the second batch.

I don't care for what the honey did so I won't use it again in the brine. It cut the salt taste some and it takes away from the smoke flavor a bit. I also think it may have made some of the nuts darken. Some are much darker than the previous cook.

Also compared them to some oven roasted almonds (lightly coated with olive oil) and I think the brined smoked ones are better. The oven roast ones seem much more dry.

Darrin, how much were the baskets at Bass Pro Shop? I go by one on the way home, every one to two weekends. Traffic by there is terrible this time of year because of all the holiday shoppers. But if the price is right.

I looked for them at Academy, hoping they might be priced along the lines of the $4 charcoal pan. No luck-- they didn't have them.

I think that I will hit Garderner Bennoit when I am in Charlotte and see about the pizza screens. I am starting to think that I just HAVE to try the almonds and pecans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
I looked for them at Academy, hoping they might be priced along the lines of the $4 charcoal pan. No luck-- they didn't have them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Doug, that's what I was hoping for also. Charcoal pan is $4 at Bass Pro.
Thanks Darrin, $17.99 is better than $20. Of course, buy two from amazon... no tax, free shipping.
Thanks to you too, Vernon.

Those baskets are pretty nice lookin', but the price is a little steep compared to the pizza screens. I stopped by the restaurant supply last friday and picked some screens up for about $4.50 apiece. Of course like an idiot I bought 17" diameter and they didn't fit into the WSM very well. So I returned them yesterday and picked up 5 15" diameter ones for about $18. Gonna be doin' a bunch of almonds this weekend....

Rob

Really, the only semi-advantage would be the sides. Makes it harder to spill on the way. I'm sure the pizza screens would work fantastically, though.

It's probably a bad, bad idea for me to go to the local restaurant supply.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've seen them in bags at supermarkets, wal-mart and discount stores....not too many nuts of any kind gettin' grown in my neighborhood....

There's a place called Mason's Nuts right across the Interstate from my shop. That's where I got the raw almonds, pistachios, filberts, and walnuts.

These all sound great, and I instantly ordered two of the cooking baskets/screens through the TVWB link to Amazon.

Next Idea: there's a vendor at the Qwest Center Arena here in Omaha that sells toasted almonds with a honey/brown sugar/cinnamon glaze that's soooooo good they make your knees buckle. Anyone have a recipe similar to that???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
... Where do you get raw almonds? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ken, Costco in my neck of the woods carries raw nuts as well. Almonds are $10 CDN for 3lb bags.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Sobczak:
... toasted almonds with a honey/brown sugar/cinnamon glaze that's soooooo good ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That does sound good Art. Can you describe the coating a bit more? When you say glaze I'm assuming you mean a hard candy coating ... is it a thin or thick coating?

Don't know how close this is.

CANDIED NUTS

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 c. blanched almonds (5 oz.)
1 c. unsalted roasted cashews (5 oz.)
1 1/2 c. pecans (5 oz.)

1. Combine sugar, water, cinnamon and allspice in large, heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to boiling; boil over medium heat until reduced to 1/3 cup.

2. Add nuts all at once; stir quickly to coat all nuts. (You have to work fast.) Spread candy on baking sheet or aluminum foil, breaking up large clumps of nuts with spoon.

3. After candy cools, break apart into individual nuts. Store in air tight tin at room temperature for up to 1 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back