Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. the pans are just some disposable Hefty Brand cookie sheets I bought at Walmart, 2 for like $1.50 or so. They're 15X10.

15X10, wow, you have a lot of surface area on that cooker ....

I think a lot of uncertainty in cook duration for me comes from trying to maintain 170ºF with Minion method and settling for less than 200ºF with the occasional 'spike' above 200ºF. It would be a snap for Guru users though.

Another difference might be that mine are all stacked up with only 2X4s between where yours are in the open.

Instead of Minion method for this I think I will try a number of fully lit coals, say 15 - 20 for starters next time.

Glad to hear you are happy with them. Darrin and I both agree they get better after a few days on the counter in a sealed container so please keep us posted and let us know if yu think so as well.

I'm going to try this tomorrow, but I always have a little trouble with temp. control. How can I keep the wsm at below 200 degrees for 4-6 hours?

Grim

If it's not too cold where you are, you might achieve it with all bottom vents closed and just the top one open.

Yeah it's a pretty big one. I'm still amazed the wife let me buy it! Only thing I don't like about offsets is the right side is unusable as a smoker. It's way too hot, so if you want to grill anything while you're smoking, you stick it on the right side and it's done quick. Hamburgers, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... so if you want to grill anything while you're smoking, you stick it on the right side and it's done quick. Hamburgers, etc.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I fail to see how this is a problem, it sounds more like a feature to me
icon_smile.gif

Looking for input. I smoked some almonds yesterday, and the results were less than stellar. I reviewed this entire thread before embarking, trying not to over-smoke them, as I recalled an "off" taste I experienced when over-smoking some cheese before. Here's how it went:

I brined 9 cups (48 oz.) of almonds I got at Sam's in 1 cup Diamond Crystal dissolved in 4 cups water for two hours. Wanting to get to the smoking, I accelerated the drying out by tossing them in a large plastic bowl while aiming a blow dryer at them for about 15 minutes-- worked pretty well. They were dry and the salt level was perfect. I then coated them lightly with 1/8 cup of light olive oil, and then spread them out on three of the grill topper screens from Wal-Mart. I stacked them directly on top of eachother, and placed them on the top grate in a WSM that had already been fired up to cook earlier in the afternoon and still had a good layer of coals going in the bottom of the charcoal ring. Getting the smoker adjusted to 200° was no problem, and I threw in several small chunks of hickory, along with a dozen or so unlit briquets.

Wanting to make sure I didn't over-do the smoke, as I had with the cheese, I limited the session to only four hours. During the process, I shuffled the order of the screens three or four times to make sure I evened things out. When I was done, I knew I was heavily de-sensitized from fooling with smoking meat, mushrooms, and almonds throughout the course of the day, so I waited until this morning to appraise the results. The outcome? Well, it sure ain't Blue Diamond-- not even close.

I am not one of the people who thinks unlit charcoal taints the taste of BBQ, but, I don't have another answer-- they taste, well, "charcoal-ey". I have no other words to describe it. Any thoughts?

BTW, the mushrooms, smoked separately from the almonds, came out fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...they taste, well, "charcoal-ey".... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> that sounds like the dry edge I was trying to describe when I wrote this: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... the natural smoke of that intensity seems to have a bit of a dry edge, sort of like dry red wine... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> charcoal-ey sounds familiar to my recollection. Let them sit in a sealed container on the counter for a few days. I kept popping the lid off, shaking them around and sampling some every day. They just kept getting better or I became accustomed to them, but I doubt the latter because guests were really enjoying the nuts as well, couldn't quit eating them. I hope you find they get better as well cuz it sure sounds like you're not happy with the initial results.
icon_frown.gif

Perchance did they get really dark, or burnt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
Perchance did they get really dark, or burnt? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all-- just a little deeper in color than they went in. The grill toppers are 15", so nothing was too near the edge, and I maintained the 200° throughout the 4 hours.

I smoked some almonds, walnuts and pecans this weekend also. 3# of raw almonds using the 2 hour brine technique, while the walnuts and pecans I only brined for an hour, concerned that they were not as hard aqs the almonds and didn't want to turn them to mush. I used 5-14" pizza screens stacked on the bottom grat with 2" spacers between them. One rack of almonds got the tabasco treament and one rack got some Dinosaur BBQ rub. All the other nuts just got a little EVOO. While I think I had a little too much heat going on (I was averaging about 220* on the top level), I had huge hickory smoke going, then maple (ran out of hickory!!
icon_mad.gif
). Because of the extra heat, I took the walnuts and pecans out after about 4 hours, and the almonds out after 5. I did notice the "charcoaley" taste to them (I use Kingsford), but don't think it was charcoal either. I put a couple of pork chops on after for a little over an hour, and those tasted fine. I don't think I burnt the nuts, so I think that's just the way they come out. Got the nuts all sealed up and it's all I can do to keep from chowing them down!! By the way, the tobasco and rub ones were really good! I'm not sure if the brining process really made them that salty (maybe I should'nt have rinsed them off?). Regardless, thanks Shawn for an awesome idea and for good smoke, temp and time recommendations....

Rob

Almond1.jpg

From the honey brine batch here is a closeup of one almond that got too dark next to one that was fine. Oddly, only the exposed edge (this one came from the top rack in stack) of the dark almond got that dark. The underside is the same color as the almond on the right. The ones that are this color still taste somewhat bitter. I'm not sure if it is dark from honey, too much smoke or burnt.

I don't think I said these almonds were like Blue Diamond, I said the smoke flavour was similar in intensity to Blue Diamond, but if that was somehow misleading it certainly wasn't intentional. These aren't powder coated and they are less oily.

Doug, one other difference between our smokes is that I used lots of chips instead of chunks, but I'm not sure how much difference that could make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... I did notice the "charcoaley" taste to them (I use Kingsford), but don't think it was charcoal either ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey Rob, have you found that charcoal taste has gone away? I don't taste it in my nuts anymore but the hickory taste kept getting stronger the longer they sat. Maybe I'm just 'nuts'. BTW: I did not rinse mine off, just drained the brine off, spread them out and let them dry.

Shawn, I just finished last night at about 6 o'clock, so I probably won't be able to tell for a few days. I guess maybe I should'nt have rinsed them off, but they were way too salty when I tried one straight out of the brine. My kitchen counter looked pretty neat with 5 racks of nuts drying on it (warning; keep girlfriends who have been drinking away from that part of the kitchen
icon_eek.gif
!) The only other thing I'm tryin' to figure out is why roasted, salted almonds cost about half the price of raw....

Rob

Shawn, I only referred to Blue Diamond as a metaphor for what I would have been thrilled with if they turned out tasting like-- not saying you over-promised anything. As to the wood, I went by your saying you used a "couple of pounds", and tried to apply chunks similarly. The color of mine are closer to the lighter than the darker in your photo.

I didn't rinse them after brining, either, and the inside of the bowl had a faint haze of salt coating it after I got done with the blow dryer-- many of the nuts seemed to as well. As I said, I found the saltiness quite acceptable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...The only other thing I'm tryin' to figure out is why roasted, salted almonds cost about half the price of raw.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> supply & demand?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> .. I only referred to Blue Diamond as a metaphor for what I would have been thrilled with if they turned out tasting like-... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> thanks for clarifying that Doug

I'm looking at my chip bags, Royal Oak, 179 cubic inch (no weight specified). I used 2/3 of the bag and I hope when I said a couple of pounds it was a good estimate.

Salt Haze: yes, mine had that too, like flakes of crystals on the outside of the nut

Well after weeks of following this thread, I took the plunge and I'm smoking almonds right now.

I generally followed Shawn's recipe, except when I coated the nuts with oil I threw in a few pinches of table salt because I laugh in the face of high blood pressure.

So far so good. I'm using hickory with a little bit of maple for smoke and they taste pretty good, but the taste is a little off. It's almost like bacon (which someone else mentioned here).

When you buy Blue Diamond or other store-bought smoked almonds, is it an artificial smoke flavor? I also noticed that, even though I really poured on the salt, these don't have that powder all over them, is that because the powder on store-bought smoked almonds is the smoke flavor?

I'll let you know how they turn out once they're finished and cooled.

I don't know about Blue Diamond but the store brand I buy is smoke FLAVOURED roasted almonds. All I could see on the web pic of Blue Diamond brand was 'Naturally Flavoured'. That does not mean they are actually smoked, though they may very well be.

My Sunday batch seems to be mellowing with time, as indicated by others. Still a bit on the harsh side, I tried a little trick:

I have long noted that dry-roasted peanuts often list onion powder among their ingredients. Whether it's there as a flavor-enhancer, or for some other reason, I speculated it might be worth trying. I tried-- insofar as possible-- to distribute 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder evenly throughout the 8 remaining cups of nuts. It seems to be an improvement.

I'm not giving up yet-- I will make future attempts with smaller batches at shorter lengths of time, different temps and types of smokewoods, and report back as I do.

Glad to hear they are improving, I was wondering if I was crazy ... I just don't know how long the taste will keep changing for. On that note, I really want to know when I should vacpack them. Does the change require the presence of oxygen or will it occur without?

On the inside of the white bowl I had the nuts in, by the time the bowl was empty there was a thin dusting of very fine black powder. I can only guess it is from smoke particles. Maybe part of the reason for the mellowing is all the moving around the nuts got over the week, as I sifted through and sampled, knocked enough of these particles off to make a taste difference?

I would guess so. I didn't notice, since my bowl is dark blue, which is how I observed the hazy salt coating.

BTW, I have read other recipes calling for double the amount of salt we have been using in the brine-- I would think that would be way too much for my taste. Regardless of smoke, I like the 1C./4C. salt level just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back