All this talk of garage springs and such... Doesn't anyone grill/bbq/smoke/cook anymore?

Too much cost to engineer a home and then build it. Cheaper to do slab with shear walls and no flexing of the floor to drop the roof down onto the home. Homes are wood. Sky scrapers are steel drilled deep into rock.

Except this gem in SF

That is old school my home back east basement walls were foam blocks filled with concert added Rebar every 3 layers, these blocks have wood straps built in the screw your wood and drywall to and route your electrical wires through.
Now this wall is R13 before adding any type of insulation.
The beauty of a basement is twice the square footage in the same space same idea as a two story home.
Only the basement stays 55 to 60 degress all year round no need to air condition. Only a little heat.
With proper drainage outside of the wall it will last a 100 years. In cities where homes are 10 feet apart it would make sense to have a basement a cool place fo kids and pets to play,extra bedroom or living room space in same foot print without expensive wood structure.

How about some sausage with peppers & onions & cheese inside the sausage. This will be stuffed tomorrow.
Yes!!

This is my next foray to try. I find store bought sausage to be lacking, in both flavor and usually have more gristle than I prefer.

Yes!!

This is my next foray to try. I find store bought sausage to be lacking, in both flavor and usually have more gristle than I prefer.
Abe Froman, here:

I agree wholeheartedly on your comments regarding store bought! That is why I ventured into making my own.

20lbs. made today, vacuum sealed & into the freezer, a year round staple & so easy to cook on the grill. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4540.jpg
    IMG_4540.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 5
You want back on topic? You got it, @Brett-EDH !

On Friday afternoon I had to grill chicken for kids coming for dinner. So I decided that I didn't need my large G310 gasser and it's been a while since I coal-grilled. So I uncovered the Performer and lit up the coals. Soon the phone rings and lo and behold more children "decided" that they're also coming for dinner. Quick! Get some more chicken ready but the grill's real estate is gonna get crowded.

Made a simple honey mustard garlic marinade. Put the chicken on the grill. I decided to experiment simultaneously using a smoker tube with pecan wood pellets. I simply laid the tube on top of the inverted vortex. Until now, I've only used smoker tubes for pre-cook cold-smoking (with excellent results).

I got rave reviews at the table. Fantastic smoked flavor through and through and the meat was ever so succulent.

Once again, I wouldn't have known how to do this without the learning experience I've gained here.

20221028_132007.jpg

20221028_135536.jpg

I've been hitting below avg on my smoking and grilling efforts lately.... I'm due for a rebound. Will try to post some pics soon. My last really good cook was a pork butt, then I completely torched a 13 lb brisket a couple of weeks ago. I rebounded a little bit last weekend with a rack of baby back ribs that turned out OK (4 outta 5).... At least I got my 225 to 275F temperature control game back in order now. I might look for some beef plate ribs tomorrow or Friday and fall back to smoking a chuck roast this weekend, or a tri tip since I haven't done that in a long time.
I had a tough time getting enough natural convection to even keep the coal lit, on all of my Weber products. My fam bought me a Digi-Q smart fan system, and now I light it and then go about my day, checking the Meater sticks every so often. Got my life back, and no more stressing and constantly working the coals. It has fuzzy logic and after it learns the smoker, can hold temp to within 1-3 degrees, FOR HOURS!

Back