All night cook last weekend

Raleigh W.

TVWBB Member
Did an all night cook on my SmokeFire and WSM last weekend. Had a 14 lb Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket and a 9 lb Porter Road pork shoulder to cook for 24 family members on Saturday. Fired up the SmokeFire and WSM both just before 8pm on Friday. Used Lumberjack Hickory pellets at 225* and Jealous Devil lump charcoal and apple and hickory chunks in the WSM Also at 225*. Seasoned the brisket with Salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little Landry’s. The pork had my standard paprika and cayenne rub. Both went on a 8 pm.

I monitored both all night and they each hit the stall at around 160*. I waited a bit to wrap the brisket until the color was a decent mahogany and then coated it in tallow and wrapped in butcher paper. I let the pork go unwrapped to preserve the bark, however as did spritz the pork every hour or so with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. I had to add pellets after 13 hours and a little charcoal after 15 hours. Otherwise both went with no issues.

After 18 hours the brisket was at 203* so I pulled it of to rest for a few hours (fewer than I would have preferred but we had to eat). The pork came off after 19.5 hours at 201*.

I let the pork rest a bit before shredding it and I decided to cut the brisket as people filed through getting their food. I wanted it to stay as juicy as possible.

The general consensus was that everything was delicious. As always I learned a little more and will improve next time.

01C42CBA-0343-4398-9877-BC5E79654BB5.jpeg2E0CA796-55CF-4CC7-A79C-19ACAF6DC73E.jpeg328F0BBE-0AB7-45E0-9303-99AA22AEBF52.jpegFB1DB20B-3758-4826-A923-7CF0DA667889.jpeg5249B80B-8274-4B47-9C48-074F051C4160.jpegCCDC52F1-C5E8-4FCF-9835-F919C9A705E6.jpeg

Did an all night cook on my SmokeFire and WSM last weekend. Had a 14 lb Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket and a 9 lb Porter Road pork shoulder to cook for 24 family members on Saturday. Fired up the SmokeFire and WSM both just before 8pm on Friday. Used Lumberjack Hickory pellets at 225* and Jealous Devil lump charcoal and apple and hickory chunks in the WSM Also at 225*. Seasoned the brisket with Salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little Landry’s. The pork had my standard paprika and cayenne rub. Both went on a 8 pm.

I monitored both all night and they each hit the stall at around 160*. I waited a bit to wrap the brisket until the color was a decent mahogany and then coated it in tallow and wrapped in butcher paper. I let the pork go unwrapped to preserve the bark, however as did spritz the pork every hour or so with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. I had to add pellets after 13 hours and a little charcoal after 15 hours. Otherwise both went with no issues.

After 18 hours the brisket was at 203* so I pulled it of to rest for a few hours (fewer than I would have preferred but we had to eat). The pork came off after 19.5 hours at 201*.

I let the pork rest a bit before shredding it and I decided to cut the brisket as people filed through getting their food. I wanted it to stay as juicy as possible.

The general consensus was that everything was delicious. As always I learned a little more and will improve next time.

View attachment 73977View attachment 73978View attachment 73979View attachment 73980View attachment 73981View attachment 73982
Looks delicious and beautiful smoke ring

Raleigh, first, your brisket and pork look great. I have a couple of questions if you would:
1. With regard to using tallow, you said you added it when you wrapped. Did you also add any when you sliced?
2. Did you let the brisket rest and, if yes, how long?

Thank you,
John

Raleigh, first, your brisket and pork look great. I have a couple of questions if you would:
1. With regard to using tallow, you said you added it when you wrapped. Did you also add any when you sliced?
2. Did you let the brisket rest and, if yes, how long?

Thank you,
John
Hi John,

1. I added tallow when I wrapped but did not add any when I sliced. It really didn’t need anymore. For the record I also put my trimmings in the smoker and rendered the tallow from those for future use. Smoked tallow is great to dip steaks in when getting a sear.

2. I let the brisket rest for 3 hours but would have preferred several more hours. It was pulled off and put into a cooler for that time, but the temp really didn’t come down enough when I sliced it. In hindsight I should have rested it out of the cooler, but I’m always learning and I’m no professional. That’s what makes it fun and why I tried to include as much detail as I could, so maybe we can all learn from experiences of others.

Raleigh

Hi John,

1. I added tallow when I wrapped but did not add any when I sliced. It really didn’t need anymore. For the record I also put my trimmings in the smoker and rendered the tallow from those for future use. Smoked tallow is great to dip steaks in when getting a sear.

2. I let the brisket rest for 3 hours but would have preferred several more hours. It was pulled off and put into a cooler for that time, but the temp really didn’t come down enough when I sliced it. In hindsight I should have rested it out of the cooler, but I’m always learning and I’m no professional. That’s what makes it fun and why I tried to include as much detail as I could, so maybe we can all learn from experiences of others.

Raleigh
Thanks Raleigh. Appreciate the help.

Back