Al pastor on WSM?

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
I got motivated to make tacos Al Pastor but am wary using the WSM may not be the way to go. I don’t have a rotisserie but found this thread highlighting some who have tried: https://tvwbb.com/threads/tacos-al-pastor.25321/page-2

Obviously, the point is for the meat to cook in its own juices and marinade over high heat. I’ve seen some hang it from hooks like a pit barrel smoker. Others commented in the thread it wasn’t worth the prep because the flavors weren’t as good using the WSM.

Has anyone tried something similar on the WSM? Thanks!

Not with the WSM. I use thin 1/2 inch or thinner pieces of pork shoulder. I get it at Lola’s, a local Hispanic grocery store. Marinade over night, cook on kettle over high heat to get the edges crusty, then chop.

I've done it like page 1 post #4 in your link, by K Kruger and it came out great.
I boughta vertical skewer so the last time I used the kettle and vortex using Bnls country style ribs

I've not cooked Al Pastor on the WSM, but I know what it is and just adding my two cents. Agreeing with Timothy that if I were to give it a try, I'd attempt the small stacks of pineapple and pork shown in Post #16...this could be transferred directly to the WSM. Remove the water pan, cook over direct heat on the top cooking grate. At least that would be my initial thought.

Last edited:

I've not cooked Al Pastor on the WSM, but I know what it is and just adding my two cents. Agreeing with Timothy that if I were to give it a try, I'd attempt the small stacks of pineapple and pork shown in Post #16...this could be transferred directly to the WSM. Remove the water pan, cook over direct heat on the top cooking grate. At least that would be my initial thought.
Thanks Chris (and others), sounds like it may be easier/better to use the kettle? But I like the idea of using the WSM as a hot barrel cooker, too. Would a fruit wood work here? I am thinking cherry but others have used mesquite - which I’ve never used. Now I am wondering if I should even smoke it.....Hm, decisions...cheers!

Last edited:
Smoke will add a dimension of flavor that charcoal alone will not. Remember that most use of smoke wood around the world is based on what's locally available and cheap. Mesquite fits that description in many locales. Were it me, I'd use something like apple or cherry, which I think complements pork better.

Back