Air flow controls

Kurt

TVWBB Pro
Extremely new to this.. in the middle of third cook on WSM right now... an observation and a question... through reading various posts... I set up vent controls as follows... vent #3 (at 12 oclock) directly opposite the access door... #2 (about 4 oclock) clockwise and #1 (about 8 oclock)...

Been using vent #3 as primary air flow control d(dircetly opposite access door) and have lid positioned with thermometer over access door...

Noticed an uneven burning of coals throughout the cooks, with the coals near door 3# burning quicker than at #1 or #2... obviously due to increased air flow...

temp managment with this has been good... have to give the coals a light stir about 4-5 hours into every cook thus far...

so instead of having vent 3 at 75%... should i go with all 3 vents at 25% and expect same results... or will the coals burn quicker but more evenly.. therefore more manageable temps... or will the coals burn out quicker and neccessitate need for more fuel... or am I just over analyzing...

just some of the things I ponder at 2 am during a cook sitting by myself and my 16 ouncer...

I always adjust all three bottom vents equally. Unless it's windy out then I'll just use one on the down-wind side and spin the lid so that vent is in the same position.

Tim

FWIW, as long as the temp is right, the vents are in the perfect position.

that is what i thought, but the coals were not burning evenly and then i started to notice a dip in temps from 240-260 down to 220's about 4-5 hours into cook...

also seems like around the 8-9 hour mark the 3 times i have done pork butts that i have had to add about 20-30 lit briq to get temp above 225 and the remainder coals were pretty much spent.... is this normal? i have had good cooking conditions today... no wind and 45-50 degrees....

Kurt, I've learned unless you have major wind it's best to adjust all the vents equally. On a long smoke (about 15 hours) I wait until the temp is about 230 - 240 degrees and adjust all bottom vents back to about 1/8th open with the top vent full open. Once the coals start catching (because I use a modified minion method, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlxIpS1-WJc) often times the temp will increase above 250 degress and I'll adjust one of the vents off with the other 2 around 1/16th. The temp will stabilize between 235-255 and go for 12 hours more or less like this. Sometimes I stoke the fire after 8 hours but I found I have adequate coals to go 12 hours (I have a 22.5 WSM). After this I normally add hands full of unlit coals to keep it at temp. When I do this I keep the door open until all the coals are good and lit and than close it. Also, I forgot to mention that once my initial coals are lit in the middle and I remove the coffee can I throw I nice chunk of wood right on top to get that smoke going. Hope this helps and that's the way I roll now.

For cooks longer than say 5-6 hours I like to start with everything wide open and damper my bowl vents back using various sizes of drill bits starting with 3/8" usually, closing to that diameter and reducing until it stablizes where I want it. As was mentioned if there is wind I will close the vent facing the wind. Equal airlfow is important to ensure total fuel consumption but not necessary to get a steady temp.

Whatever is the easiest for you. Ive never had a fire go out because of unequal vents. I dont think fire symetry matters. Most insulated verticals use T plates that turn the box into a maze. they dont seem to be worried

I never cook with more than one vent partially open. If your fire is going out in 4-5 hours, I am guessing you're not starting with the charcoal ring full, or if using lump, you're not "packing" the charcoal.

I light my charcoal in 2 or 3 places with a high output propane torch. Cooking at around 250F - 275F, I typically have two vents closed and one about 1/4 open. It's much easier using one vent to adjust the temperature.
My fuel burns fine.

Bob

Just me bein me :) but the WSM was designed with three bottom vents, so I like to use them equally all at the same time for the most part.

Tim

I generally adjust all three vents the same. No particular reason for this, that I can think of. I've found that leaving all three open just a sliver, keeps me at 250 for about seven to eight hours. Usually, I will throw a few handfuls of charcoal in at that point, to give me a fresh layer of fuel. I open the vents up for less than a half hour, until the fresh charcoal gets a start. Then they go right back to just a sliver opening on each.

I don't think there is anyone way that is best. It is important to do this consistently from cook to cook so that you can learn how adjustments work. But to answer the question, I too prefer to adjust with Justine vent and it is only cracked open.

Back