Air controllers

Depends on what you want. For me it's BBQ Guru DigiQ DX3 also have the older DX2. I live in the sticks so fancy wifi doesn't do anything for me. I use mine more for just keeping the pit temps inline so I don't need a ton of ports for multiple food probes. I like the setup for the wsm. The controller, fan and adapter are all great simple designs that just work.

Depends on what you want. For me it's BBQ Guru DigiQ DX3 also have the older DX2. I live in the sticks so fancy wifi doesn't do anything for me. I use mine more for just keeping the pit temps inline so I don't need a ton of ports for multiple food probes. I like the setup for the wsm. The controller, fan and adapter are all great simple designs that just work.
Sounds just what I am looking for I have a good food temp probes I just wanted to have something to handle the WSMs temp.

Thanks I will look around for this I guess Amazon will have them unless you know someplace better.

Bob has a good point.
And just to add,
If you correct any leaks you may have and don’t over heat it they will stay pretty consistent temp wise.
My used one came with the stock aluminum door with gasket.
That is the only leak work done on it and it still leaks a slight bit but holds holds temp good in a marine drafty environment if I don’t over heat it. If I do I shut down all vents until the temp is corrected.

The bbqguru DigiQ DX3 nice and simple, priced right and has worked well for me.
I don’t think there is a better deal out there.
I use my Inkbird with it for Wi-Fi and other than having a few extra cords in the cook area it is just fine.

Bob has a good point.
And just to add,
If you correct any leaks you may have and don’t over heat it they will stay pretty consistent temp wise.
My used one came with the stock aluminum door with gasket.
That is the only leak work done on it and it still leaks a slight bit but holds holds temp good in a marine drafty environment if I don’t over heat it. If I do I shut down all vents until the temp is corrected.

The bbqguru DigiQ DX3 nice and simple, priced right and has worked well for me.
I don’t think there is a better deal out there.
I use my Inkbird with it for Wi-Fi and other than having a few extra cords in the cook area it is just fine.
So after reading up on a bunch of these, that range from 150 yo 300.00 bucks I see some advantages and so disadvantages. First I do not use my WSM every week,or monthly. I may use it 3 to 5 tomes a year, but as I only paid 80.00 for it I am not wasting anycreal money.
The only real time that the controllers would be handy is on overnight or real long cooks. I think I am just going to tuff it out the old manual way, as I have put all new gaskets on it and a few other mods, if I am to do anything else it will be to tighten up my lower vents as 2 are loose fitting.
Thanks for all the imput.

Yes, tighten the vents, that’s the first task then, spend some time after they are tighter learning the basics of temperature control,I don’t use anything but, stock vents and have good control most of the time.
Yes! A Wind screen will help greatly. I like the washtub idea but, I went pretty crazy with mine.

I just got an inkbird ISC-027BW off Amazon for $118. I was looking for a blower that was wifi and bluetooth based to make sure signals reach me wherever I am in the house. It was a great price and for $20 I got the adapter for my wsm 22. I just attaches over 1 vent. I havent tried it yet but will let you know soon. Have a 16 pound full packer going on tomorrow nite.

After my last cook with my wsm I had outside with the wheels locked down and thecwinds came up and blew it over, well I have clamps holding the bottom and center together but but my door opened letting some hot coals out, it dinged you kid, and bent two vent adjuster tabs, and the coals just laid out to upgrade the stone landscape.. no grass to burn here.

After my last cook with my wsm I had outside with the wheels locked down and thecwinds came up and blew it over, well I have clamps holding the bottom and center together but but my door opened letting some hot coals out, it dinged you kid, and bent two vent adjuster tabs, and the coals just laid out to upgrade the stone landscape.. no grass to burn here.
Man - pretty dang windy where you are. Maybe take the wheels off to get a little bit lower center of gravity?

Dang Kevin.
That’s downright scary.
We live on a small Bay right off the big water and at times it’ll get windy in the summer and blow gale winds during the winter storms.
We are in logging country where everything is green until it ain’t and fires do happen.
I never considered that the WSM would blow over during the summer winds.
Gale storms yes, simple summer winds no, so now I don’t trust it as much.
We use an inside corner area of our deck for storing the bbq’s and I think the extending corner wind shields my deck as well.
Are you able to use a corner of your house as a wind block to shield it?
If your round bullet smoker will get blown over I don’t think a couple sections of plywood held together with hinges will do you much help.
Good luck to ya.

I have both a Thermoworks Billows and a PitmasterIQ-110. Of the two, I prefer the PitmasterIQ, My experience with the Billows is that it provides far too much airflow for low and slow cooking in my stock 18.5" WSM. I found that even after I added the optional Billows damper to throttle the intake air (get the damper if you do go with the Billows). If I had to do it over again, I would consider getting the PitmasterIQ-120 though, as it adds a digital display (vs. just an adjustment knob of the IQ-110). One additional caveat, I use lump charcoal, which does burn hotter than briquettes, so that should also be considered in any comparisons. As with many things, YMMV.

Back