aftermarket cooking grates for Genesis Silver B

I just ordered the same set of grates this is a me statement just could not bring myself to pay $140 for the RC grates think these should work out fine. I am retiring next year if I was 40 I would have sprung for them in a minute actually hoping I can still grill in 10 years you never know.

:cool:

Brian

I just ordered the same set of grates this is a me statement just could not bring myself to pay $140 for the RC grates think these should work out fine. I am retiring next year if I was 40 I would have sprung for them in a minute actually hoping I can still grill in 10 years you never know.

:cool:

Brian

Not sure why you're worrying about that. My dad will be turning 91 this year and he still goes out to his old Genesis 2000 (now a 3000) to grill, plus he cleans it too. As for the grates IMO the heavier the grids the better. Nothing frustrates me more on a grill than crappy skinny grates with large spaces. Totally detracts from the experience of quality grilling. The difference between 5/16" (8mm) or 3/8" (9mm) isn't as much as the spacing. The BroilMaster grills I had used 5/16" 304SS rod grates but the spacing was good (same as my Summit) so at least I didn't lose whole steaks between the grates (like all the newer Weber stuff). Over the course of a few years the cost difference between the grates (el cheapo to RC's) disappears

One big benefit of the heavier grates is that they hold heat longer. I did some pork chops on my genesis 1000 last night. It just has the stamped steel porcelin coated grates. The chops were small and thin and what I was hoping for was some fast cooking with some good sear marks. I also put on some potatoes. In the dark, holding a light, it took me a couple of minutes to get everything on the grill and by the time I did, the grates had cooled down so much that they didn't sear the chops like I wanted. I know heavy stainless rods or heavy cast iron would have held the heat plenty long enough.

Regardless, they still came out real good. Just not pretty.

Bruce,

I completely agree, those heavy gauge grates do a much better job holding heat and ultimately with the cooking results! I have noticed that on the thick stainless rods.

For the price, the stamped SS grates are a good buy, but I really would like a set of heavy SS rod grates. No question the SS flavo bars are the best way to go vs the ceramic coated steel.

Bruce I am going to buy a few sections of the GrillGrates this probably would have give you the sear you were looking not having the RC rods since neither one of us will have them going to be able to use them on the 1000 and also my kettle. I know LM hates :)them turns your grill into a Charbroil but to be honest I could not tell you how many reviews that are positive including this forum by the way and all total probably read like 80 maybe found 7 that were negative.

Brian

Let me know how you like the grill grates. I doubt I will every get them, but I have read good things about them.

I started out with OEM SS grates on my 2000 vintage Weber Genesis Silver B. Those were really good. Only drawback was that my wife was constantly bugging me to keep the SS grates completely shiny all the time. Which is basically impossible to maintain if you use the grill.

I later replaced them with the heavy OEM PECI grates, which I liked better. And the all-black all-the-time color satisfied the mrs.

Replaced the PECI with GrillGrates last year, and like the GrillGrates the best by far. Also all-black all-the-time once they get seasoned.

I've seen LM's critiques of the GGs, and just completely disagree with him on every point. IMO the only drawback to the GGs is the cost. Due to the cost I started out with just a few panels as an experiment. Then quickly upgraded to the full replacement.

Being able to use the other side of the GGs like a flat top is great. Best way I've found to do my steaks with a Pittsburgh-style black and blue sear.

I started out with OEM SS grates on my 2000 vintage Weber Genesis Silver B. Those were really good. Only drawback was that my wife was constantly bugging me to keep the SS grates completely shiny all the time. Which is basically impossible to maintain if you use the grill.

I later replaced them with the heavy OEM PECI grates, which I liked better. And the all-black all-the-time color satisfied the mrs.

Replaced the PECI with GrillGrates last year, and like the GrillGrates the best by far. Also all-black all-the-time once they get seasoned.

I've seen LM's critiques of the GGs, and just completely disagree with him on every point. IMO the only drawback to the GGs is the cost. Due to the cost I started out with just a few panels as an experiment. Then quickly upgraded to the full replacement.

Being able to use the other side of the GGs like a flat top is great. Best way I've found to do my steaks with a Pittsburgh-style black and blue sear.

I am wanting very much to try out GrillGrates. I understand they are not Weber design and change the functionality of the grill. I have even heard the comments “turns your Weber into a Charbroil.” I do know from talking with others that they LOVED how their Charbroil infrared cooked while the grill was clean and functional. But most agree that Charbroils aren’t that well built and typically don’t last very long. Coastal Florida landfills are full of rusted-out two-year old Charbroils. But, if you combine a solid classic Weber design with the benefits of so-called infrared grilling that the GrillGrates offer, wouldn’t that be a marriage made in heaven:)? I also understand that GG are easier to clean than the Charbroil cheap stainless and that the anodized aluminum seasons to a bulletproof and wonderful to cook on surface. It is hard for me to see something wrong with that!

I hope to do a side by side cook off with conventional Weber 13 bar flavorizers and cast iron grates vs GrillGrates also in a deep box but using only 5 flavorizer bars. I think this would help us all fairly evaluate GrillGrates. I will try hard to find time and video the results.

Last edited:
Since the full GG replacement cost was high, I started out by just replacing one of my OEM PECI grates (or one half of the grill surface) with a few GG panels.

You can use the grill 50/50 just fine. After doing that for a while, I sprung to swap the other half over to GG. Expensive but totally worth it imo.

No ragrets at all.

I guess I don't understand the appeal of the grill grates? Isn't a lot of the appeal the minimal flareups? But my 2 vintage webers hardly flare up at all. I can't imagine them wearing or cooking better? And the round rod stainless grates I use are so easy to clean.

I guess I love my 2 vintage webers enough that I can't imagine they could be improved upon.

That is a very valid observation. For me the jury is out since I have never used GrillGrates for a single cook let alone for an extended time to see how they clean up. When I can get my Gennys done I am going to do my best to do an honest simultaneous comparison. Maybe do a couple steaks on each. Then we can look at the grill marks, sear, and maybe even a taste test. Also consider the experience- flare ups, smoke flavoring, etc. Finally compare the cleanup process. It might not prove anything but it would be a lot of fun and maybe helpful to others.

Just got to make time:mad:!!!

Back