Advice sought for using pizza stone in Weber BBQ and avoid burning

gerry dalton

I recently bought a pizza stone for use in my Weber BBQ.
When I put in the pizza I have the Weber set about 220 degrees centigrade and indirect heat (centre burner of three turned off)
I have the stone in the BBQ from the start to avoid cracking.
When I take out the pizza I find the base is burnt black - the pizza is inedible. The top looks just right - bubbling with flavour!!
So, please, does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this burning happening? - and still get the pizza cooked well.
Ger

can you post a picture of your setup?

Most people seem to find placing the pizza closer to the lid and farther from the fire helps with that....myself included. I have a solution for the kettle, but I have yet to try a pizza on my genesis or q200.

Ger, the pizza is probably the most difficult item to grill. I for one have been on a long term journey to get pizza right. I use a kettle and used to set the stone on bricks wrapped in foil turned on their side. Like Clint said, the idea is to get the stone away from the direct heat below and into the lid for heat on top in order to cook the top and bottom at the same time. Try that and see if it helps. Most of all: Stick with it. You'll get it.

A trick that I have successfully used is to use 2 pizza stones.

I place one stone on the center of the grate and put steel spacers on each corner. I then place the second stone on top of the spacers. This keeps the direct heat off of the top stone as the lower one acts as a heat shield.

Maybe the same effect could be accomplished using a drip pan under the stone. Although this would probably not be quite as effective as the lower stone is a better head shield.

Many thanks to all who replied.
Looks like the solution is to keep the stone away from the burners - either with fire bricks or a second stone (and spacers - a great idea).
And as a result also get the pizza high up in the grill.
I am off to try source a few fire bricks and can't wait to test it.
Will report back.
Ger

I didn't have any firebricks, so I used some charcoal baskets to space up the stone.
Since I got one of the fancy Emile Henry pizza stone, I no longer have to space it up, that is one nice pizza stone.

AH! OK, just so it looks pretty!!
I have just come back from a shopping expedition to purchase some fire bricks.
Now, if it would just stop snowing, I could try a pizza!!
More anon . . .
Ger

I have the Weber set about 220 degrees centigrade
Hi Ger

Welcome to the forum. 220 degrees is not very hot, so you end up keeping you pizza on the grill too long. My pizzas are cooking at 650 to 700 degrees and I'm not burning the bottom

The trick to getting the top and bottom cooked evenly, is to have a low ceiling on your BBQ, that's easier said than done. Tenting it with foil sometime works for making a low ceiling in your BBQ. I found it easier to cook pizza on my WSM using a Kettle Pizza attachment and a lid off my kettle BBQ. It moves the fire further down from the pizza, and keeps the ceiling in line with the depth of the fire

[video]http://vid3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/chaz28o/F1098FEB-A088-42EA-872B-B0C04DF8BECF_zpsmnxbwofv.mp4[/video]

Even still you want to have your gas grill as hot as possible for pizzas. Mine gets to 600+F or 315C.

Gerry I haven't had a lot of luck grilling pizza on my weber gas grills. They come out ok but not as well as they do on the charcoal kettle, or, really, my oven.

Not good :(
I bought 5 fire bricks and placed them on the grill and then put the pizza stone on top.
Even with 3 burners at full tilt, the temperature stayed below 200 C
I put on Pizza1. After 10 mins it showed no sign of proper cooking.
I figured that maybe the bricks should only be used to support the pizza stone - not completely separate it from the grill.
I removed two stones and after 20 mins the pizza was just edible.
I then removed all bricks except two and put on Pizza2.
It burned after 8 mins. I ate some of it.
I was very concerned that with all 3 burners working, the temp shown was so low.
Previously, without those bricks, I never have all 3 burners at full tilt and I get temps well over 200C.
I left the stone and bricks and grill to cool down.
After 30 mins I opened the lid and heard a loud crack - the pizza stone had split in two.
So right now I am very demoralised!!
The pizza delivery man will be pleased!!
I am reviewing the situation.
G.

Hi Gerry,

I think getting pizza 'right' in the gassers takes a bit of experimentation. I used a combination of Clint's, dwaine & GeorgG's suggestions last night, elevated the pizza stone to close to the top of the lid, using a second pizza stone as a 'heat shield' on the grill, and elevating the top stone by using the 2 charcoal baskets from my kettle (as suggested by Greg Y).

I previously had the burnt base problems which kind of got around by changing to a thick stone, and turning the centre burner to low, front and back burners to high. But go much longer than 7 minutes and the bases would start to overcook, and I felt the tops needed a bit more.

The results last night were promising. I could easily get the grill to full temp. First pizza I used middle burner on low, front and back at full. At 7 minuted the base was not fully cooked, but starting to lightly brown, topping was looking great. Gave it another 4-5 minutes, and served it up (natives were getting restless). Base was cooked, not burnt, but not really crisp as would be with the stone placed just on the grill. Very happy with the topping.

Second and third pizzas I put all burners on high (gave me another 20-30 degrees C) The base I thought cooked more evenly.

Next cook, I am going to try without a lower stone as a heat shield and see how that goes.

I think using all those large bricks takes up too much heat. Sorry your stone broke- they tend to do that. I have actually taken to using large terracotta pavers.

Steve

Skip the stone and cook it right on the grill. Another opportunity is to use heavy cast iron pans/skillets. I do both ways and get great results. I have never used a stone and doubt I ever will bother to try

Thanks Stephen and LM.
I think I am now getting the big picture from all those comments and suggestions.
I like the idea of the cast iron skillet and may try that next. Raised up in the Weber on one centre fire brick and with just the outside burners on.
Plan B is to go back to the indoor electric oven.
Plan C is the delivery man :)
Ger

Back