Adding support for charcoal grate to use 22" WSM as a grill

TimG

I recently upgraded to the 22" WSM and I want to be able to use it as a charcoal grill as well as a smoker. I looked at a few different ideas for supporting a charcoal grate a few inches below the top grate, and I liked this one from Phil N Florence, but I wanted to avoid two things about this mod:

1. Although I was willing to do it, I preferred not to drill any more new holes in the smoker body.
2. I didn't like that the supports for the grilling charcoal grate might get in the way of lifting the bottom grate out easily when smoking meats.

After mulling it over for a few days, and the idea to use these stainless shelf standards and supports that I had used on a custom cabinet project a few years ago. The standards are narrower than the WSM grate support straps, so I hoped I could cut them to length and secure them to the straps using the existing bolts. The standards are 6 feet in length so one is enough to do this project. I ordered 2 from ahturf.com (just in case) and paid $4.89/ea for them. I had several of the supports left over from my previous project, but they are fairly inexpensive as well.

Once the standards arrived, I went to work. I was hoping the screw holes in the standard would line up with the bolt holes in the WSM grate support straps, but I doubted I would be that lucky and I wasn't. That's ok--I planned to line one screw hole up with one grate support strap hole and drill another to line up with second. I chose to line up the existing screw hole with the bottom grate support strap hole. It would have worked either way, but doing it this way meant I would be able to place the shelf supports slightly greater than 5" below the top grate; if I had lined it up with the top hole, the shelf support placement would have been slightly less than 5" from the top grate.

I cut the standard into 4 equivalent lengths so that each would just fit inside the top and bottom grate supports of the WSM grate support straps, as shown here (the green lines are where I made my cuts):

Cut and drill locations.jpg

I used a Dremel rotary tool with a cutting wheel to make the cuts but a hacksaw would work too. I filed the cut edges smooth and then drilled the holes (I had to bore out the screw hole that I was going to use because it's smaller than the WSM bolts). To drill, I clamped the standard piece to the back of the support strap, with the bottom screw hole lined up to the bottom bolt hole. Then I flipped the assembly over and used a 1/4" drill bit to enlarge the bottom screw hole and create the top hole, using the strap holes as guides. Once that was done, I used a round file to clean up the holes and installed them in the smoker, with a standard piece in front of each grill strap. I used the existing WSM bolts and nuts. The nuts of course do not screw on as far with the extra depth, so I added some thin lock washers to ensure they don't come loose. I purchased this Charbroil 21" round grate to use as the charcoal grate.

I'm pleased with the result. I can remove the supports when not using as a grill so they're not in the way, and I can even use them with another grate to have a third grate (of somewhat adjustable height) for smoking. Pictures below.

Installed without support.jpg

Installed with support (side view).jpg

Grate installed.jpg

I dont think its a good idea personally to use wsm as a grill.
If done routinely it will shorten its life
The higher temperatures will burn grease off and at least grates will suffer. Plated grates last fine on wsm, but rust away quickly on a grill.

But nice job

Last edited:
I dont think its a good idea personally to use wsm as a grill.
If done routinely it will shorten its life
The higher temperatures will burn grease off and at least grates will suffer. Plated grates last fine on wsm, but rust away quickly on a grill.

But nice job

MartinB, Thank you. You're probably right. I doubt it will be very routine, so I'm hoping it'll hold up.

Phil N Florence recently passed away. Cool mod!

Dustin, thank you. I recently saw comments that indicated that on the video I mentioned, and I hate to hear it. I had only recently discovered Phil's youtube channel and he reminded me and my wife so much of her father that he felt like a friend. So sad for his family and friends and wishing them the best.

I was on my phone typing that and I was way too concise that it may have come across kind of flippant. He always had a smile on his face and was fun to watch. I'll miss him and his videos.

No worries, Dustin. I didn't interpret it as flippant. Yes, he seemed to always be smiling, and was enthusiastic about his topic.

RIP Phil in Florence. You'll be missed. Go Gamecocks!

I sprung for the Cajun Bandit extended brackets for my 18. Pricey, but I avoided drilling, measuring and the high chance that I'd screw up my cooker in a botched DIY. I assume things would work the same on a 22.

I added the third rack to get more room for smoking ribs, chicken and other flat items. But I also discovered it makes my WSM a pretty convenient kettle grill. You get three things that you don't get if you just put the cooking grate down on the charcoal ring at ground level: (i) easily adjustable heat, (ii) stand up height, (iii) kettle lid fits perfectly secure.

I put the normal charcoal grate and ring on the water pan tabs -- its fits perfectly there with no modification needed. Then the normal upper cooking grate can be moved easily between the top bracket (lower heat) or the middle bracket (higher heat). While you can do left/right coals for direct/indirect, I find it much simpler to adjust the temperature by moving the grate up and down. Like how you adjust a Santa Maria grill.

Back