Adding Charcoal (again)

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I'd like to re-open an old discussion (see below for the original closed thread). I have two reasons: 1) a lot of new information about bbq and charcoal is avaiable since 2001. 2) the link that Chris A. included is now defunct. Is that discussion still available somewhere?

In another forum, recent discussions say don't use or add unlit charcoal for both the "acrid taste" reason and because of a health concern (by-products from the heavy smoke of new, unlit charcoal. As brought up in the original discussion below, this pertains to the Minion Method.

I've searched on TWVB for answers, but didn't find much except "how-to". Am I missing some discussion or write-up?

From my perspective: I use Minion and can't say I perceive the "acrid" flavor. I find it hard to believe the health issue hasn't already been addressed here. Thanks, Rich

<Alan Dujenski>
Posted July 11, 2001 11:52 AM
I was reading last night HOW TO GRILL by Raichlen)that as the fire burns down that you do not want to add fresh charcoal to the fire because it puts out acrid smoke when first starting. Do you folks concur?

If this is so the MINION method of adding a few hot charcoals to the top of a pile of charcoal would allow for a steady stream of acrid smoke as the coals progressively caught fire.

I would like clarification of whether only hot coals need to be added or if the acrid smoke problem is unfounded

By the way the book mentioned above has great tips and recipes
IP

Chris Allingham
TVWBB Hall of Fame

Posted July 11, 2001 01:10 PM Hide Post
There are two camps: one says never add unlit charcoal briquettes to the cooker, and the other says that it's OK. The Minion Method falls into this latter camp.

We've discussed it before (see http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbub...um4/HTML/000213.html ) and the concensus seems to be that meat cooked using the Minion Method does not have a detectable off taste or odor.

Regards,
Chris
Posts: 6028 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: November 10, 1999

As noted, by definition the Minion Method is always "adding" new charcoal.

Personally, I've not noticed any taste difference between briquettes and lump.

I'd like to answer at least part of my own questions by pointing out what I found here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

Scroll down to "Reference Topics" and basically read everything about charcoal.

About the Minion Method: From the information about charcoal provide by Kingsford, it appears that "new" smoke from starting the briquettes to burning may have odors and perhaps flavors that could affect the final flavor of the meat. But unless we each sample (at the same time) meat produced by the Minion Method and meat produced using only fully lit (grey) briquettes, we won't get an answer to that. Has anyone done this?

About health concerns: Again, from the information provided, if there are health concerns, those concerns MUST also apply to lump charcoal and wood burning. So who cares? (I don't want to get into the "perceived" or "theoretical" health concerns resulting from grilling, barbequing, or otherwise treating meat with heat. Frankly, I don't care.) Rich

i just don't use charcoal that stinks. kingsford is the main one. i use royal oak and rancher and i have never tasted anything i dislike using the minion method nor adding cold briq to the hot pile. only real way for you to find out is to try with cold briq and then to try with hot live coals.

im always amazed at the people who complain about Kingsfords smell and how it makes the food taste funny. Do you realize that people have won BBQ competitions using Kingsford? If it was changing the way food taste I think the judges would have picked up on that. I have used Kingsford about just about every other charcoal/lump on the market over the past 20 years of cooking and I have never had anyone or myself complain about the smell or taste. Let the debate roll....
icon_biggrin.gif

I've always used lump or a natural charcoal like Stubbs because I didn't want my heat source to add flavor. I figured burning sodium nitrate, limestone, borax, and anthracite coal in addition to wood would have to change the taste. Still, so many people have said they swear by Kingsford, including people who compete and win at competitions, I decided to try it.

I bought 160lbs at HD over Memorial Day weekend. I've cooked 3 times with it now and am not sure it's not adding a taste. This week I'm smoking a turkey breast with a very light rub using Kingsford and a little cherry. If Kingsford is adding taste, this is the cook where I'll be able to tell. If it's not, it's a very economical choice - at the sale price, 1/3 the price of lump.

to each his own. i hate that junk. i did not say you couldn't like it or use it. i said try and pick what works for you. i'm not interested in what others use. nuff said.

H3llsB3lls Boys, i'll use sticks and stones if it cooks my food the way i like it!
and the only thing that stinks around here is that daggum skunk that rassles with the neighbor dog

Chill out girls...my post wasn't meant to get everyone ruffled. I was just making counter post to people who say Kingsford stink, I say it doesn't, you say it does. Who gives a rats A**. Go cook and have a beer. nuff said.

Personally, I think one should strive not to have to add charcoal during the cook. Use one of the waterless methods, build a wind break, fill the ring FULL and let-er-rip all night long.

In terms of the question, I think adding unlit charcoal (Kingsford) to an already burning fire is no different than the charcoal burning from the outside in. If there wasn't still unlit charcoal in a briquette, then it wouldn't still be burning - would it? I think the off taste that some people claim to notice is from a fire that's not up to temp yet - like the smoke you get when you first light your chimney. Once the fire is burning, the heat (or something) seems to burn off the offending odors and it becomes a non-issue.

Personally, if I had to add charcoal, I would probably do the hot squat. I would probably add a layer of unlit and a half chimney or so of lit, give it a few minutes to burn off the initial smoke and put the WSM back together. Then again, since I can get over 15 hours out of a full ring, I'd probably just finish it inside in the oven if I needed more time. So far, I've never had to reload.

I always find, when doing butts, that come morning I need to add coals. I just toss the little buggers into the belly of the beast an d go back to bed. None of my friends ever order PP in restaurants 'cause it can't compare to mine. Acrid, heck no.

I have a hard time believing Kingsford has been selling charcoal for 90 years and have ignored health concerns that large.

I for one think the acrid flavor is just an urban myth brought on by generations of Dad's not knowing how to use charcoal and lighter fluid correctly. Eventually, this myth will dye out.

Iam new to the WSM 4 cooks ! but like most folks here I would guess I been cooking all my life . And with k . We love the taste of food using it wife complained when I used lump said it had no taste . So to each his or her own what ever you like .Some of the best pit masters in the world use K .

But Iam just a simple kina guy . I got a bag a BGE lump aka RO and I will be tossing a few hunks on my K to use it up and no more for us !
But I say cook what you like the way you like and like what you cook
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I luv the smell a K in the morning
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey some folks put sugar in CORN BREAD who iam I to say there nuts > But ....
I agree about it being a myth but with kids these days meaning anyone under 50 I doubt it . But a LOT not all but most think cooking and cooking Q is rocket science.

But hey some folks won't use a cast iron pan because of them health concerns LOL Maybe my grannie would a lived to a 104 if instead of 103 if she hadn't a used them cast iron pans .

Health dangers from cast iron pans? My lord, our whole family is doomed!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone who has used Kingsford knows that the initial white smoke that comes off (especially with a full load) is acrid and foul. If you have your meat in the way, it will pick up some of that flavor. It appears that the slow ignition from the Minion Method doesn't cause this problem. If you doubt any of this, try all three ways (meat in the smoke, meat only after the smoke has burned off, and Minion) and compare them directly. (Just be sure you do everything else the same way -- no extraneous variables!)

Those of us who use Kingsford probably know enough to avoid that initial smoke. So have a beer, smoke and grill as YOU want and enjoy!
icon_razz.gif

I have to admit, I no longer do a Minion method any longer for this reason when using K.

Unfortunately, for me, K hangs in there the longest and is the most stable when doing very long cooks (although, I'm speaking about last years K formula. Tommorrow will be my first long cook w/ the 2010 formula).

Back