Accidental Chicken Jerky

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
After half a dozen delicious rotisserie chickens on my newly restored 1000, I decided to mix it up. The plan was Rosemary Chicken Under Bricks from Weber’s Mediterranean Barbecue by Jamie Purviance, some grilled asparagus, and Caprese Salad. Though I have spatchcocked chickens before, I have never cooked chicken under bricks.

Spatchcocking and marinating the chicken went just fine.
IMG_3841.JPG

I had a nice fire going with 42 weber briquettes. It reached the target 350 about five minutes after I put the chicken on the grill via a therm on the grate and never went over 375. The recipe called for 20-30 minutes bone side down followed by 20-30 minutes skin side down with bricks in a baking sheet or a CI skillet on top. I chose the skillet method. Because the fire was a tad cool at the start, I let the chicken go 25 minutes on bone side. When I went to flip the chicken it had stuck to the bottom of the CI skillet. I should have sprayed it with Pam. So far so good. And my corpse reviver no. 2 was going down nicely.

IMG_3843.JPG

I let the chicken go for 18 minutes before I temped it and by then it was jerky. 200+ everywhere. It looked good, but every last bit of moisture was cooked out.

IMG_3851.JPG

At least the Caprese was fantastic thanks to DW.

IMG_3855.JPG

Plated.
IMG_3856.JPG
I did a complete paint by numbers job, just following the directions without thinking. I have some ideas about what went wrong. I did not account for the chicken being on the small side. It was a 3lb, air chilled one from Trader Joe's. The no. 12 Lodge CI skillet was likely too big and heavy for the job. The recipe was silent about warming up the skillet/bricks. I put the skillet in to warm up with the grates after dumping the coals; that was likely a mistake, too. It was really disappointing because that marinade was terrific. I have 3 more whole chickens in the freezer, so I know I will be trying this again soon. Thanks for looking.

Sometimes it happens.🤷‍♂️ But at least you have some changes in mind for next time, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Is it possible that the chicken itself was lower in moisture than a typical grocery store chicken?

Sometimes it happens.🤷‍♂️ But at least you have some changes in mind for next time, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Is it possible that the chicken itself was lower in moisture than a typical grocery store chicken?
That is a possibility. I was not packed in water. I was air chilled. I switched to these when TJ's started selling them earlier this year. They make really juicy rotisserie chicken.

Well you're not alone, a few years ago I did some thighs on the gasser and went into the house and forgot about them. 2 1/2 hours later Barb asked when the chicken would be done. They literally fell apart when I picked them up with the tongs.
That is why there is always a frozen pizza or two in the freezer.

I have not had a corpse reviver in years! Going to have to look that one up again!
Equal parts Plymouth Gin, lemon juice, Cointreau, and Lillet Blanc. Though I’ve read there’s a new, more historically accurate replacement for the Lillet Blanc.

It’s my favorite cocktail.

No absinthe? Or is that the “historically accurate” ingredient!
The #1 is pretty good too
Cognac, calvados, sweet vermouth (2 parts, 2 parts, 1/2 part)
I am still very fond of my perfect Manhattans
2 parts CC 1/2 part dry, 1/2 part sweet vermouth, 3 dashes Angostura bitters.
I prefer them as a “standing” cocktail, not shaken, that way they are “gem clear” and much prettier.
Fill the shaker with ice, douse the bitters over the ice, pour the CC over, top with the vermouths, let stand while you polish your glass a final time, then pour and enjoy!

Sorry. I forgot to add rinse the glass with absinthe! I once forgot it when I made it and it was not good.

Sorry about the chicken. But it does look pretty good, and the sides look fantastic. Perhaps 41 briquettes next time. :p

Well you're not alone, a few years ago I did some thighs on the gasser and went into the house and forgot about them. 2 1/2 hours later Barb asked when the chicken would be done. They literally fell apart when I picked them up with the tongs.
That is why there is always a frozen pizza or two in the freezer.
I wish I had the excuse that I got distracted, but I was right there.

Has anyone tried chicken under bricks? If so, do you have any tips?

Back