Access heater meter remotely from WAN

Chris Peisher

I can connect to my heatermeter from within my lan. I've forwarded port 80 in my router settings to the heatermeter IP. So I tried to access the HM by going to 98.123.456.78:80 (my external IP address:80) but I get nothing. I have other programs on that router forward list that function just fine (team viewer remote desktop, calibre ebook server, etc) and I use them regularly with no problems. What else do I need to do to manage my HM from the WAN?

Thanks,
Chris.

Something else to consider: You can only use an inbound port once. IOW, you can't forward 98.123.456.78:80 to both a.b.c.d:80 and a.b.c.e:80.

Okay, that's really the simplified case, but it is the general case.

If your router supports logging or table dumps, those might also be interesting to leaf through (doesn't everybody run a commercial firewall with their own syslog server? :D )

It's also possible your ISP is blocking inbound port 80. Trying changing to a different port like 8080 and see if that works.

I use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check and see if my port is actually open.

I also had to connect my HM to my last in line router ( dang ATT uverse) as if I connect to the router that everything else is connected to, the Uverse blocks it, but connect to the uverse, and not problems.
I also don't use the ":80" to connect, just the external address.

I'm asuming that you have the HM set up on a "requested" IP so it connects to the same address, and that is the one you have forwarded to 80?

That's all you should need to connect, however, it may be that your router or your ISP is blocking you from using port 80, as some do. You may try adding another listening port to your HM and port forward to that port instead (like 8080 for example). Here is a link to a thread about how to do that.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?571...r-Meter-is-listening-on&highlight=change+port

This is what ended up making it simple for me. Forwarding external port XYZ to the internal 80 port made it easy. That way I didn't have to mess with writing code to the HM. I've got a domain name and it works. Thank you guys.

Forwarding external port XYZ to the internal 80 port made it easy.

This would be the easiest way to get it done.
Remember, the router itself is listening on port 80 for web management, so any packets on port 80 will be sent to the management process rather than routed.

Remember, the router itself is listening on port 80 for web management, so any packets on port 80 will be sent to the management process rather than routed.

Maybe, maybe not. A router will have an internal and external interface. The management UI listening on port 80 on the internal interface doesn't mean that the external interface is blocked from using and/or forwarding port 80.

If your router is listening on the external port for management, get a different router. *NEVER* allow remote management. Even if you have changed the access password, there've been too many cases of backdoors left in.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything.....

The point was that port 80 is special in that it is used for router management 1st and foremost.
Yes, it should be blocked.
Yes, the interface CAN be made to forward it, but usually not by default.

Arggg.

Back