ABT'S my version

We love these things also! I'll have to try this original posters recipe. We often use the small precooked shrimp which I dice and add to the stuffing.

Some of the family likes these with less heat so I slice those in 1/2 and remove the seeds and membranes. I like mine hotter so I keep the pepper whole and remove some of the seeds to allow them to be stuffed. They can be quite hot this way. I also poke a hole in the bottom with a toothpick to let some of the moisture escape.
Brett

Cooked up my first batch of ABT's today, they were great. Even the wife and kids ate them. I will be making many more since the peppers are getting ripe in the garden.

Tim, glad your ABTs turned out good.

Would you please check your email address in your profile? I tried to send you some pizza information that you asked for in another thread. I tried several variations of your addy and they all bounced back. You can email me personally (check my profile) if you like.

Rita

I made these last night on the Kettle. 30mins indirect at 550 degrees...they were PERFECT and the bacon was nicely crisp. Also I used quesadilla cheese, instead of cream cheese. Another tip...half of them I took out all of the seeds/membrane so they were milder, half of them I only removed 1/2 of the seeds/membrane they were HOT. For ID purposes I put 1 toothpick in the mild ones and two toothpicks in the HOT ones.

Try using Queso Blanco and wrap in pancetta. The pancetta is like bacon but is cured without smoke and is far less salty. You will get enough smoke from the cook.

I made some ABTs and fatties to bring to a party on Saturday. I had time to do the prep work on Friday night, so I used Mike's original recipe - using some reheated pulled pork as the meat in the filling.

I used the plastic baggie with the corner cut out to fill the shells, and it worked great!

Some comments: Letting the bacon get to room temp did help it "stick" together, so no toothpicks were needed. Also, the overnight time in the fridge (I actually air dried them) also seemed to help the bacon stay together better when cooking.

Mine were on the top grate for about two hours. Much longer and the jap shells might have started to fall apart, but the bacon was done and dark, just a little short of crisp. When they came off of the WSM I put them in a covered foil pan, and into a cooler (along with the foiled fatties) and drove to the party - about a half hour away.

They went in a hurry, to rave reviews.

Fortunately I had a few jalapenos, a little bacon, and some of the filling left, so I'll some more tomorrow!

Early in the thread there's a mention of poblano ABT's making good rellenos... and it got me to thinking, Wow that sounds good. What could possibly up the ante on an ABT? Roll it around it flour and egg and fry the suckers!
I'm definitely adding this to the holiday to-smoke list.

I have been reading about these things for ages, but hadn't gotten around to trying them until today. Holy cow!! They are wonderful!! Even my wife, who hates anything that even hints of being hot loved them.

I didn't get fancy. I just halved some jalapenos lengthwise, cleaned out the membrane and seeds with a spoon, plopped in some creamcheese, wrapped them with bacon, shook on a little rub and threw them on the Performer. I used a toothpick on each in order to hold it together. When the bacon was crispy, I pulled them off.

I wish that I had taken photos, but I forgot. If you haven't tried them, you should. They are delicious.

I like the Mike Chavez' recipe from August of '03 and gonna try this now... and gonna listen to Rosanne Cash's new recording "The List" while I'm preparin' these hot lil' suckers...and photos may appear IF I don't burn ma' hands . . .
If all works well, they'll be refrigerated over night and smoked lightly tomorrow well before THE WISCONSIN BADGERS defeat the Ohio State University's football team.

Jim,
Your plan sounds good except for your misguided belief that the Badgers will win tomorrow. At least you'll have ABTs to enjoy while you watch your team lose
icon_smile.gif

Todd, don't even THINK about what YOU BELIEVE will happen tomorrow...
Bucky is gonna run AND pass ALL over the suckeyes tomorrow afternoon.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Todd, don't even THINK about what YOU BELIEVE will happen tomorrow...
Bucky is gonna run AND pass ALL over the suckeyes tomorrow afternoon.

ok... MAYBE, it'll be a close game, but UW certainly UPSETS Buckeye Nation
icon_biggrin.gif

<<<My plate of food has just turned into my plate of my words.... Congratulations Buckeyes and Todd. I am a lowly defeated Badger fan.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<<<My plate of food has just turned into my plate of my words.... Congratulations Buckeyes and Todd. I am a lowly defeated Badger fan.

Man Jim your not having a good week!!

Has anyone made ABT's and then wrapped them in dough and double cooked them? I saw this some where and for the life of me I can not find it again.

yeah Vince I know, but you know what? I'll STILL wear my Wisconsin Badger hat with PRIDE as I do believe they'll play a good fair game and continue to make the Big Ten proud.
Anyway, getting back to food and this ATBs thing....I made (toiled) a shirt load... 1/2 batch grilled yesterday... fought with the flames almost the entire time... although, I had them well away from the fire (gasser).
The peppers were hardly toasted, the bacon however was well spent.
The second batch I waan smoke, I THINK?
Has anyone done this? Smoked?
I wanna fire up the WSM real soon...

all done.
http://good-times.webshots.com...39990105566169tPwZPV
http://good-times.webshots.com...79900105566169UtrwrI
Only regret trying to grill half of them in place of using the smoker... the WSM did a fabulous job as I could walk away with no worry of FD (food destruction).
Preperation was a bit of a drag but I did have PLENTY of Miller High Life at hand. Perhaps that is why some of the bacon strips were cut shorter than others...
Next time, I'll leave a lot more membrane on the jalapeños than I did this time around. Very little heat... VERY little...
Over all it was good. The HONEY was noticeable.

What smoke wood are people using when only making the ABT's?

The local (to me) New Mexico Hatch chile is supposed to be similar to an Anaheim. I have some bags frozen in the freezer. Maybe I'll try some as ABT's.

I didn't use any smoke wood when I tried them. Between the jalapeno and the rest of the ingredients, I felt it wasn't necessary.

Not to say that you shouldn't try - if it were my choice I would use something mild, and go for just a touch of smoke on them.

My 2 cents worth.

Back