ABT'S my version

Want to really have fun on "guys night" make ABTs with Habs. I like em but nobody else seems to want them. Makes your eyes water but it is soooo good. Dont touch your face after handling these, even after you cook.....trust me.

Just chiming 2 cents in on the heat issue. Used to work at a Mexican restaurant that made stuffed japs. It was a lengthy prep process. First day we'd thrown them in the fryer for about 20 seconds, then take them out. Would then take the outter skin off under running water. Next, split them lengthwise and removed the seeds, then put them in a container with pineapple juice to marinade for 24 hours. Was told that was to reduce the heat. As I recall, they were pretty flimsy after the pineapple marinade, so that might not be a good option for ABT's, but I do know it helped reduce the heat

Hey Chris K,

You might want to expand on that warning...not to touch anything else either. Don't ask how I know that.
icon_eek.gif

My two cents ...

One thing that i find works really well for removing the seeds and membranes ... A "teardrop" pottery sculpting tool. The large area is great for scooping out the seed core, the smaller point is *perfect* for gouging out the membranes !

Holy flippin' Moly those were good. I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it.

I made some with green and some with red sweet peppers. Both were great. Thanks so much for the recipe.

And, try Oscar Meyer center cut bacon. It's pretty thin and works great.

Originally posted by Mike Chavez:
1 heaping tblsp dry onion
1 tblsp. granulated garlic
Dry Onion...from the spice isle in the grocery?
Granulated Garlic...garlic powder, garlic salt, or something else altogether?

Granulated garlic is just that-- it's not a powder, and does not contain salt. It has the consistency of table sugar or salt.

For the onion, look for dried minced.

Just finished up my first time cooking jalapenos, stuffed them with brie and pepperoni..wrapped with smoked bacon
JALEPENOS.jpg

Bill,
Don't have a chile grill.............yet
icon_biggrin.gif

Had to make due...I hope my fiancee wasn't using this pan for anything special...
icon_wink.gif

I tried a version of ABT's last weekend as well. I cut the stem off but made sure to keep the pepper whole (there was a bit of stem left at the top of the pepper but once cooked it was tender). I then sliced them in half lengthwise and scooped out the seeds and membrane with a teaspoon. What I ended up with were what looked like 'halapeno boats'. I smeared a mixture of 1 brick of cream cheese, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, onion powder and black pepper into the cavities. I topped them with a thin slice of smoked sausage (like Hillshire Farm) and then wrapped each boat in a whole slice of thinly sliced bacon to completely seal them. My peppers were pretty small so I ended up making about 20 halves (10 peppers). I cooked them until the ends of the peppers looked wilted. The bacon didn't get too crisp but it was cooked through. The only problem I had was that when the bacon cooked, it tightened around the pepper boats and squeezed a bit of the cheese out. Otherwise they were heavenly.

Looking forward to trying these but with a twist... as someone who can't eat pork (yeah it's a religion thing) I plan on making the ABT's with turkey bacon and filling it with pulled chicken. I use chicken thighs to make this - the recent recipe in Cooks Illustrated is pretty good process (I add some additional favorite spices to improve the flavor).

I see the recommendations to roast the Annaheim's beforehand; I may try roasting the jalepenos to improve their flavor.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wolf, have you ever tried beef bacon? I found some last year in Florida and thought that it was better than the turkey bacon. Here in Kentucky you would have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa than beef bacon. Pork rules.

I would think that some chicken or turkey sausage cooked and crumbled or chopped would taste pretty good, too. I've never tried it, but I will soon!

Thanks for the suggestions Dale and Ron. It's why I'm so glad I joined this group.

The local Whole Foods carries beef bacon so I may give that a try too. I might make a batch with half turkey, half beef.

Mike,
I tried your recipe for my New Years Eve neighborhood party and they were a big hit. I Could not find Jalapenos that were big enough in the short amount of time I had (read: last minute) after I decided to cook them following my Boston Butt smoke but did find some nice Anaheim's. While they were not real spicey, they were large and easy to stuff and actually had a very good flavor....even the kids ate them...............Hmmm, maybe I will find the Jalapenenos next time so I can have more for myself :)

Bruce

Originally posted by Scott Greenia:
My two cents ...

One thing that i find works really well for removing the seeds and membranes ... A "teardrop" pottery sculpting tool. The large area is great for scooping out the seed core, the smaller point is *perfect* for gouging out the membranes !

Something that has always worked well for us is ythe plain old fashioned potato peeler. (Alton Brown would be proud, it's a true multi-tasker
icon_smile.gif
)

The blade works real well for removing the side membrane, and the point does well to remove the white at the bottom.

We like to make a little slit clear through the bottom too. It lets the excess h2o out so that the filling doesn't get soupy. Doews anyone else do that?

Hey Tim,

The potato peeler is the exact thing that I use to clean the jalapenos too. Works very well, especially with the point.

Guess us Tulsa guys must think alike?

I really don't think there is a bad way to prepare ABT's. A freind of mine doesn't care for the taste of pork or any pork product for that matter. As a result, I've used beef bacon many times. It works just fine.

Removing the membrane and seeds (I use a small spoon) is another task. The accumulation of the volatile substance in a jalapeno on one's digits can be surprising. Well, not so much the just the ditgits but where those digits ultimately wander. Even after carefully washing ... a casual rub of the eye can prove to be an insightful experience. It gives the the notion of the digital age a whole new meaning.

A few ABT's now and then never a problem. However, Christmas I made three dozen of the atomic ones and boy or boy. New Years ... I wore goves and protective eyewear. Lesson learned ... always wear gloves. That's not now and then wear goves ... it's always wear gloves when preparing ABT's IMHO.

Smokin on the Beach,
Jon

Back