ABT'S my version

Originally posted by John Henderson:
What smoke wood are people using when only making the ABT's?

The local (to me) New Mexico Hatch chile is supposed to be similar to an Anaheim. I have some bags frozen in the freezer. Maybe I'll try some as ABT's.

Originally posted by Mark B:
I didn't use any smoke wood when I tried them. Between the jalapeno and the rest of the ingredients, I felt it wasn't necessary.

Not to say that you shouldn't try - if it were my choice I would use something mild, and go for just a touch of smoke on them.

My 2 cents worth.

Mark

IMHO, if you're going to fire up a grill to make some ABTs, you should definitely use some wood to add some smokiness. The combination of sweet (if you're using a sweet ingredient like chopped dates), spiciness, saltiness, and smokiness is what makes ABTs so great. The strongest wood I've used is Hickory, and I have used some milder woods like apple and maple. They've all worked out great.

I smoked a batch of these last night on my mini.

DSC_3926-PP2.JPG

I varied a little by:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Used non-fat cream cheese
<LI>No pulled pork (that's on the smoker right now.
icon_biggrin.gif
) so I used some spicy smoked sausage.
<LI>No BBQ rub on hand and I was already running late so I went w/out.
[/list]

(More details at http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/...c-buffalo-turds.html)

They were terrific! Some were hotter than others so I will have to be a food taster for SWMBO.

Made these yesterday and they were a big hit! Even did some w/o bacon for a vegetarian and she liked them too. Thanks for the recipe.

Chad

Some people might not know this but there are quite a few different varieties of jalapenos - that's why there are different levels of pungency. Also, the way they're grown can effect the heat levels. Not enough water or too much sun will make them hotter. All a plant wants to do is reproduce it's self so if they don't have perfect growing conditions, they will be hotter to ward off anything that trys to kill it.

Banana peppers are great as ABT's for those who don't want any heat.

Back