About to buy first smoker, WSM 22", need a starter accesory kit, recommendations?

Brandon Gurley

About to buy first smoker, WSM 22", need a starter accesory kit, recommendations?

So what else do I need besides the smoker its self? I know I need a chimney and thermometer. Any recommendations? I looked for a search button did not see one...

I am looking forward to this WSM. Used to rock a Weber kettle back in the day for about 10 years, have been using a Home Depot Ducane Gasser for the last 9 years. Looking forward to getting back into charcoal.

Thank you in advance for any tips...

The only chimney to get is a weber chimney
7e145dab-a155-4214-9148-b193ed334ad6_400.jpg

and a remote read meat/smoker thermometer. There are several out there but the

maverick-this is the ET733
81fa7D1xD9L._SX522_.jpg

works for me.

Also, a pair of heat resistant gloves that extend half way up your arms (silicone or padded) is very helpful.

Last edited:
YW :) :)

Once you get them, there is a mod or two that will help. Get used to using the new unit then post again. Lots of folks here will chime in.

I really like the 22" expandable hanging rack for my 22" WSM but you may want to wait a while to see if you feel like you would use it.

Hi Brandon,

Like Len said, you will see several mods for these WSMs, I have added the gasket for mine, plus this weekend I added an extra cooking grate, so mine now holds 3 cooking grates, without using a stacker.

Nice guys thank you for the responses. I just ordered my 22" WSM, I am stoked! Now to order the thermometer and have it shipped to my office LOL. Probably can find that chimney locally. I have seen the gasket mods and that stainless door looks nice too. I will probably add gaskets in the future...

So I just ordered the following:

-Ekogrips High Heat Silicone BBQ Grill Oven Gloves

-Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set (Comes with free Bear claw meat forks)

-Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter

-Weber 7417 FireStarters Lighter Cubes, 24 Count

Along with the WSM 22", that's enough damage today....

Last edited:
Nice selection but I would suggest that the cubes aren't needed when starting for the smoker (maybe for a grill). You're not using a full chimney for the smoker (maybe 15-20 briq's) so a cube IMO is over-kill.

Once you've used about half of the cubes, give another method a try: rolled up newspaper greased with veggie oil and then coiled into a sausage and bent into a donut shape and inserted beneath the chimney. Light that and the briq's get going nicely.

Don't get me wrong, the cubes are great but once you become a pro ( ;) ) at lighting, you probably won't need them. Experiment with the newspaper method after you get comfortable using the WSM in general.

Sometimes I just can't get the newspaper going full blazes and the cubes are a nice backup to have. Just saying.

p.s. before going to the added expense of gasket and another door, use your WSM for 2-3-4 cooks and see how it performs. My experience with the 18 is such that neither are needed.

Last edited:
p.s. before going to the added expense of gasket and another door, use your WSM for 2-3-4 cooks and see how it performs. My experience with the 18 is such that neither are needed.

What Len said. My door seems to fit pretty good on my new WSM and I don't think I will need the gasket kit or better door. I would wait a little while to determine if you need it or not. A good test is once you are done with your cook, close down all the vents and see if it extinguishes the coals.

I recommend the smaller we er chimney for a smoker. I can light a half dozen coals easier in it. And, you shouldn't need to light many coals for a smoker.

Aside from the gas assist on my performer, the starter cubes are the best lighting method. They are so cheap $0.14 each and so quick clean & easy that its a no brainer. For a minion start on a WSM one is fine but even if im using for a chimney to start the kettle i can throw three in there and for less that 50 cents i have a super quick light.

Thank you for all the tips guys, you know how to make a new guy feel welcome around here. I should have all of my gear and WSM by next weekend. I will be sure to take pics and post a thread of my first cook. Planning on doing 3-4 racks of ribs!

Len Dennis, you make a good point, probably should have got the smaller Chimney. I saw T-ROY Cooks on YouTube using his upside down for his WSM due to fewer coals, I may do that.

I saw T-ROY Cooks on YouTube using his upside down for his WSM due to fewer coals, I may do that.

As do many folks. Now you've got two options :) but you can still use it right side up with fewer coals. IMO, right side up is easier though to put the lit newspaper in from the bottom . You'll experiment and end up doing what's best/easiest for you.

Hey..... Let's not forget the Swiss Army Knife of BBQ!
Ya gotta go to BJ's or Costco or some other warehouse type place and get the mega roll of heavy duty tin foil. It has so many uses beyond just covering your meet. The thin little rolls in the grocery won't cut it.

Hey..... Let's not forget the Swiss Army Knife of BBQ!
Ya gotta go to BJ's or Costco or some other warehouse type place and get the mega roll of heavy duty tin foil. It has so many uses beyond just covering your meet. The thin little rolls in the grocery won't cut it.

Good tip! I hope to have my WSM before the weekend so I can fire it up and smoke some ribs... :)

Back