Aarrgh! I hate Whirlpool!

Panasonic does not make an over the range MWave. I wish they did. I'd buy one.

Again, I don't want the machine THINKING it knows what I need. It's not the number of buttons. It's how my mind works. I want 30 seconds. I want to push 3 0 then start. If I want minutes it has a "minutes" button. 1 min = 1 push. I just like "logical" and I want a machine to work they way I want not the way the machine wants.

I know the automated stuff can be over ridden but then it's something else I have to think about or do.

Oh wow, talk about hitting a nerve!! I despise those annoying 'Express Buttons' on microwave ovens. (i.e. numeric buttons 1 thru 6 automatically starting the oven for 1 to 6 minutes.) Who nukes anything for more than 2 minutes? That is the purpose of the 'Popcorn' or 'Potato' buttons, etc.

I agree with LMichaels. Usually we only need to run it for 8 - 45 seconds. I want to enter '8' and hit 'Start'. Express buttons were the worst 'upgrade' to an interface in the past 20 years (besides Windows 8). Every manufacturer implemented it, except for Panasonic and a few commercial brands.
(BTW, 2 thumbs-up on Panasonic Inverter series, I owned one 20 years ago and it worked very well, but I don't need that capability now.)

The designers should allow us to reprogram those Express buttons. I don't need 30 seconds to melt butter or soften a dollop of cream cheese.

Here's another peeve: If I put a mug in the microwave to heat water, I expect the handle to be in the same position when the microwave stops at some multiple of 10 or 15 seconds (e.g. 2 mins). A turntable should rotate to the exact same position every 10 or 15 seconds. And yet, my G.E. microwave stops the mug of scalding hot water with the handle at the rear after 1 or 2 minutes. A team of engineers couldn't get that right?

Lastly, I like the ability to mute all 'beeps' (key-press and end-of-cycle beeping) to avoid disturbing others in the house at night or early morning.

Oh wow, talk about hitting a nerve!! I despise those annoying 'Express Buttons' on microwave ovens. (i.e. numeric buttons 1 thru 6 automatically starting the oven for 1 to 6 minutes.) Who nukes anything for more than 2 minutes? That is the purpose of the 'Popcorn' or 'Potato' buttons, etc.

I agree with LMichaels. Usually we only need to run it for 8 - 45 seconds. I want to enter '8' and hit 'Start'. Express buttons were the worst 'upgrade' to an interface in the past 20 years (besides Windows 8). Every manufacturer implemented it, except for Panasonic and a few commercial brands.
(BTW, 2 thumbs-up on Panasonic Inverter series, I owned one 20 years ago and it worked very well, but I don't need that capability now.)

The designers should allow us to reprogram those Express buttons. I don't need 30 seconds to melt butter or soften a dollop of cream cheese.

Here's another peeve: If I put a mug in the microwave to heat water, I expect the handle to be in the same position when the microwave stops at some multiple of 10 or 15 seconds (e.g. 2 mins). A turntable should rotate to the exact same position every 10 or 15 seconds. And yet, my G.E. microwave stops the mug of scalding hot water with the handle at the rear after 1 or 2 minutes. A team of engineers couldn't get that right?

Lastly, I like the ability to mute all 'beeps' (key-press and end-of-cycle beeping) to avoid disturbing others in the house at night or early morning.
Nice thing about my Panasonic as well. Turntable makes one rev every 10 seconds. So, (unless the thing I am heating slips) I simply use divisions of 10

The thing with Panasonic. They have the ONLY microwaves that actually operate in a manner that makes sense. IOW. You decide you want to reheat a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. Every one I have ever seen or used you have to plod through a menu just to run it 30 seconds. On a Panasonic EZPZ Push #3 then #0 then start. Voila! 30 seconds AMAZING. WTH is wrong with every other company?!
Also they're the only ones that have a microwave that actually varies output power. Not simply turn the magnetron off and on repeatedly. So if you want 50% power for 5 min. You get a legit 50% power not on/off/on/off ad nauseum. Again why can't other companies do this?
I have a cheapo Magic Chef microwave from Home Depot. It works pretty well and if you just push the start button it will run for 30 seconds. You can also add 30 seconds to your cook time by pressing the start button again. I think most microwave ovens are made by the same couple companies now so brand probably doesn't matter too much here.

I think most microwave ovens are made by the same couple companies now so brand probably doesn't matter too much here.

I think you are right.

I needed to find a control panel circuit board for my Kitchenaid Microwave and while digging into it found Midea was the manufacturer and that they make Whirlpool, KA, Toshiba, and several other brands. Midea is a huge player for chinese made microwaves

Panasonic Inverter microwaves are manufactured by Panasonic and I think LG makes their own too.

My Whirlpool crapped out after 5 years. Replaced with the same model only because it was built in and the trim kit cost as much as the microwave if I changed models. As far as buttons, at least I can directly enter any time without doing any gymnastics. It has several pre-set buttons for warming, defrosting, baked potatoes, popcorn etc. None of them are the proper time, so worthless. 90% of use is rewarming, so just give me a simple keypad.

We had a 1200w Kitchenaid rangehood MW that ran for 12 years. Of course it died during the pandemic No more black so we had to get ss and replacement is only 1000w so we have been havie had to relearn cooking times since most everything you buy has instructions for 1200w. Once this one dies, I expect we will be back to the 1200w model. In our previous house we had 2 GE rangehood microwaves, but didn't hold a candle to our first MW which was an Amana Radar range. It was an indestructible beast even with our Nordicware wind up turntable!

My Whirlpool crapped out after 5 years. Replaced with the same model only because it was built in and the trim kit cost as much as the microwave if I changed models.
Similar for me. I have a built into a cabinet microwave so a counter top model can go in the cabinet. The size only fits whirlpool or kitchenaid

Another plus for Panasonic. The programmed cooking modes actually work and work better than anything else. Just did some frozen green beans again tonight. I also use it to cheat potatoes. When I want baked taters I simply use "Sensor Cook" Then I simply roll them in a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper and then on the grill for nice crispy skin. And that nice fluffy interior of perfect taters

I have a cheap Amana counter top microwave that’s lasted 30 years!
I have an Amana Radar Range that we bought in the mid-80's; 1986, I think edit: 1987, I just checked. Solid stainless steel interior and glass tray bottom, but only 700W, and no turntable. Over the years I've had to replace the high voltage diode, the control panel, and swapped out the door springs a few times. We keep it because my wife knows how to run it, and getting something new that would operate differently wouldn't go over well.

Last edited:
Well folks, I drove past Whirlpool on the way home from getting some fantastic baked goods from “Bit of Swiss” in Stevensville,
I blew raspberries at them! Hope you all feel some relief for the act of defiance !
I was in Michigan last week for a few days and drove by their headquarters also. I'm not mad at them though, my Whirlpool fridge has been pretty good to me for the last 12 years or so.

I was in Michigan last week for a few days and drove by their headquarters also. I'm not mad at them though, my Whirlpool fridge has been pretty good to me for the last 12 years or so.
Yeah my Whirlpool made Amana bottom freezer I just replaced did excellent duty and it now sits in my daughter's kitchen serving her very well. She loves it. Whirlpool makes the KitchenAid mixers I repair and still made here, still made just like they were by Hobart too. And they can take a beating

heres the thing about whirlpool.. i can always get parts locally at a local distributor and quickly if I need them... but yes it i know there reliability has been slipping as I replaced my dishwasher a few years ago and already had to replace the pump once.

for the microwave i love the LG with the extendavent where the vent comes out and catchs vapors form the front burners... ingenious invention and I love it!!

Delivered and installed. Wife is happy. Kids are happy (they don’t have to hand wash).

Quick q: the installer said that when loading dirty dishes, I WANT to have a bit of food left on there to activate the soap. Never heard this before. We always rinse and knock off pretty much most/all food in the sink before loading.

Any truth to that?

1724953927546.jpeg

Yes, indeed! The detergent NEEDS something to work on! Scrape, and don’t bother rinsing. Unless it’s something dried on and frustrating, like dried on cheese sauce from pasta, no chunks but, surface scum is fine.
That looks like the same model as mine! I love how quiet the thing is!
Edit,
I usually run it on the “Eco” setting, an hour and a half and it’s done! Regular mode is something like 2 1/2! If I’ve got some really nasty stuff, I use that one when I go to bed! Next morning, start the coffee, empty the machine and get on with the day!

Last edited:

Back