Aarrgh! I hate Whirlpool!

Pablo Hoco

Three days ago, my Whirlpool microwave starts fizz and popping. Throwing big old sparks when using it (with microwave safe dishes). Then yesterday the dishwasher starts spewing water all over the place. I already had it repaired earlier this year.
Both are 5 years old. Maybe that’s just how they make them these days.

I’m shopping for both a new microwave and dishwasher. But everything is made by Whirlpool (or whoever the mother company is). Kitchenaid, Maytag, etc.

Who’s got a brand that they’ve had good luck with?

I second the Bosch recommendation for a dishwasher. Not sure about a microwave. I've never had an issue, so I've never bought a new built-in.

The thing with Panasonic. They have the ONLY microwaves that actually operate in a manner that makes sense. IOW. You decide you want to reheat a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. Every one I have ever seen or used you have to plod through a menu just to run it 30 seconds. On a Panasonic EZPZ Push #3 then #0 then start. Voila! 30 seconds AMAZING. WTH is wrong with every other company?!
Also they're the only ones that have a microwave that actually varies output power. Not simply turn the magnetron off and on repeatedly. So if you want 50% power for 5 min. You get a legit 50% power not on/off/on/off ad nauseum. Again why can't other companies do this?

<shrug> We have 2 microwaves here, one counter model and one stove hood model. The counter model does take time programming immediately, the range hood model does require 1 other button press first. Both do cycle the magnetron for reduced power cooking. Oh, and both of these are at least 20 years old, and neither is a Panasonic.

Edit: Caloric over the stove, and Westinghouse as the counter model

Last edited:
The thing with Panasonic. They have the ONLY microwaves that actually operate in a manner that makes sense. IOW. You decide you want to reheat a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. Every one I have ever seen or used you have to plod through a menu just to run it 30 seconds. On a Panasonic EZPZ Push #3 then #0 then start. Voila! 30 seconds AMAZING. WTH is wrong with every other company?!
Also they're the only ones that have a microwave that actually varies output power. Not simply turn the magnetron off and on repeatedly. So if you want 50% power for 5 min. You get a legit 50% power not on/off/on/off ad nauseum. Again why can't other companies do this?
I'll sell you my nearly new and barely used GE Cafe appliances if you'd like. I'm not a huge fan of them. Not very impressed at all.

Shame about Whirlpool. I had the gold model DW that lasted over 20 years.
I also bought a Bosch. It's alright, not crazy on how the racks layout for pots and pans or bowls, but it works.

Shame about Whirlpool. I had the gold model DW that lasted over 20 years.
I also bought a Bosch. It's alright, not crazy on how the racks layout for pots and pans or bowls, but it works.
ahhaahhaah. my wife already told me we are going back to Bosch. I might just do it sooner than later.

I'll sell you my nearly new and barely used GE Cafe appliances if you'd like. I'm not a huge fan of them. Not very impressed at all.
Where does that come from? Honestly I don't think I'd buy GE stuff on a bet now. Slapping a fancy name on a relabeled Haier not gonna make me change my mind

Ou Frigidaire range hood microwave has buttons for 10 seconds and 30 seconds. They can also be used to add time once the MW is on, regardless of function.. You can also press 1,2 or 3 and it will run for that many minutes.

This MW replaced one that was the previous year model and the functions are very different between the two. Go figure.

Yeah, and that makes me CRAZY. I sold a brand new mwave we bought because I'd walk up to it want 30 seconds and as soon as I hit "3" it took off. ARRRRRGH. HATE HATE HATE that. I want to actually "select" the time I want NOT what the control panel THNKS I want. I like simple straightforward controls.
BTW Costco has GREAT deals on Panasonic MWaves.

I push one button for 30 secs on high.

Automatically starts.

Push it again for 30 secs more.

Back