A whole Butt load of BUTT!!

You better take that WSM into your nearest dealer for an inspection. I'd be checking for a Hernia or crushed metal somewhere:)!

Last edited:
I am impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This looks awesome.
DSCN4125_zps60c7e780.jpg

When I decided to get a WSM, I was on the fence as to "which one". I finally decided, based on the fact that our children are raised and out of the house and we don't entertain a lot of people at a time. After using for a time, I was MOST happy in my choice. I wish I had read Harry Soo's comments or I would have made the same decision, quicker;).

After seeing the O.P.'s pictures and comments, and I am, even more happy with my original choice. I can't see me trying to do that many butts at a time, but it is nice to know that it CAN be done!

Good smokin' to all:wsm:
Dale53

Nice to know this. I have been volunteered to produce as much pulled pork as I can for an upcoming church outing. I figured 40 lbs would be really pushing it but it looks like you did more than that in your 18.5. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Very impressive. Pork looks delicious. Am anxiously awaiting the day I get the opportunity to push my WSM to the limit with a big cook.

Really nice looking pork and a lot of it!! 19 hours seems like a long time. Next time you pull pork just try using your hands in your insulated gloves to pull it. You will ditch the bear claws.

No way man. I did 6 butts one time on my 18.5 and THAT was the reason I invested in bear claws. Took me like an hour plus to pull all 6 of them. I can shred a butt perfectly in like 2 min. Anytime you wanna race pulling butts let me know...;):D

Nice job on the 8 butts...I am VERY impressed.

Alright, as some of you wsm vets are aware of, when you get a wsm and start making a lot of BBQ for friends and family people start wanting you to make stuff for them. I thought this might happen some day and it did. So my buddy asked me to do some pulled pork for a community that he manages for work. He said there will be about 150-200 people there. There will also be hot dogs and pot luck sides. So I thought this sounded like a great opportunity to load my 18.5"wsm to the max. We figured we should do 8 pork butts.
DSCN4085_zps2bad270b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Rubbed up with weber smoky chipotle rub that I added brown sugar to.
DSCN4089_zpsf62d6d53.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
time to fire it up!
DSCN4106_zpsb37870ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I loaded the bottom first using some sewers to keep the meat way from the sides.
DSCN4115_zps39b17b9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Load the top.
DSCN4117_zps24e39770.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4118_zpsfa27317a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4119_zpsbd37ceaa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After about 16 or 17 hours I pulled 4 off that seemed to be the most tender. about another hour or two for the other four. Total time was about 19 hours. It was really hard to tell what temp I was running at, I had a prob though the vent and my ET-732. for about the first 7hrs my 732 never went higher then 212. I tried not to worry about it to much, it seemed hot and I figured if I gave it time it would turn out, and it did.
DSCN4120_zpscd0b2cff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4124_zps233b4f3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4125_zps60c7e780.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Well, here ya go! eight butts on the 18.5"er. Thanks for lookin!!
Oh, btw, the pork was a big hit with everyone, and we figured that we only had about one butt left after it was all said and done.

How much charcoal did you use for a 19 hour burn? Also did you have to monitor the fire constantly? I'm expecting my smoker tomorrow.

No way man. I did 6 butts one time on my 18.5 and THAT was the reason I invested in bear claws. Took me like an hour plus to pull all 6 of them. I can shred a butt perfectly in like 2 min. Anytime you wanna race pulling butts let me know...;):D

Nice job on the 8 butts...I am VERY impressed.
I'm with ya there! Love the bear paws, shred like crazy!

Back