A whole Butt load of BUTT!!

I filled the ring to start, of course. Then I only added some unlit once (about a full chimneys worth). I propped the door open upside down to increase the air flow and engage the unlit. I didn't really have to babysit the fire, I just let it run.

I filled the ring to start, of course. Then I only added some unlit once (about a full chimneys worth). I propped the door open upside down to increase the air flow and engage the unlit. I didn't really have to babysit the fire, I just let it run.

Sorry for the noob questions, but was this done with the minion method? I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have quite a bit of lit coal to start with.

Also, were you trying to keep it at a certain temp, or did you just let it do what it wanted?

I'm really surprised you got 60lbs on that cooker, I did 5 butts that weighed out at 48lbs total in my 18.5 and there is no way I could have gotten another pound on it. Either the size/shape of yours were the perfect fit of your 18.5" or you know magic.

Either way, impressive cook!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?419...ed-Pork-for-50&p=432840&viewfull=1#post432840
It's a little of both. Oh, and if you notice, the butts are on their ends not laying flat. That will really give you more space.

Sorry for the noob questions, but was this done with the minion method? I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have quite a bit of lit coal to start with.

Also, were you trying to keep it at a certain temp, or did you just let it do what it wanted?
I did use the Minion to start the cook, and I did use a lot of lit about 3/4 of a chimney. With the temp I was just flying blind. I had the maverick telling me for the first 7hrs that it never got over 212, and for most of the time it was about 185. The lid was a different story (nothing new there). And I had a probe through the vent, They all had something different to tell. Butt with 60+lbs of meat I knew things were going to get crazy, so I just open all the vent all the way and didn't worry about it to much. BTW closer to the end of the cook my mav was reading over 300, but nothing else was.

It's a little of both. Oh, and if you notice, the butts are on their ends not laying flat. That will really give you more space.

I started with mine on the ends in a teepee format, but as the cooked they shrink a bit and fit on the grates lying flat. I don't doubt you got all that on there, I'm just blown away that you got 12lbs more than I had in considering how full mine was at 48lbs.

Moral of the story is that the WSM 18.5 is a really awesome cooker that can stand up to bigger cooks!

I am so impressed by this cook. I have never tried a cook of this sized but gives me confidence that my cookers (18.5 and 22.5) can handle anything.

Epic...sent you a pm. :)

I won't lie. I thought you were going to say you couldn't get all 8 butts on there. I am thoroughly impressed! The final product looks great too.

Very impressive. It always makes me feel ambitious when I see someone load their WSM to capacity. Gets me thinking of how many freezer bags i'd need to freeze it all and how quickly I could consume all that PP.

Back