A warning about disposable lighters

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
I posted this on the "Barbecuing" board as well....

An interesting and potentially disastrous thing happened to me this weekend......

After buying my WSM 18.5" about 18 months ago, I bought a nice 7' X 3' composite patio bench/box to store all my gear (charcoal, smoke wood, smoker cover, starter chimney, etc.....). Some time back, I must have left a package of disposable lighters in the patio box as well. I know this because in the middle of the afternoon yesterday I heard a rather loud explosion outside while sitting in the living room. Thinking one of the neighbor boys was blowing off fireworks, I was ready to go next door and give them the "what for". When I opened the door to the patio, I found the lid of the patio bench/box blown completely off. Sitting about 10 feet from the box were several pieces of clear purple and red plastic that obviously used to be a disposable lighters. These were some of those cheap (made in China, Mexico, Viet Nam, etc....) lighters one would get in a multi-pack at the Dollar Store. I recall buying the pack of lighters, but never remember using them. Now I know why. They must have fallen into the bench box at some time.

As best as I can tell, the bench was sitting in direct sunlight and it got too hot inside the bench, causing the liquid propane in the lighters to expand and eventually explode. The alternative is that one or more of the lighters was simply defective. Either way.......BOOM!!

Here's the scary part....... I usually store the extra 5 gallon propane tank (for my Weber Genesis) in the bench/box as well, to keep it dry and free of rust. I had taken the tank out of the box on Friday and swapped it with the empty on my gasser. The empty was secured in the back of my truck to get it refilled the next time I went to the gas station. I can't imagine what could have happened if a full propane tank was inside the bench when the lighters exploded.

Some add'l rules to now follow:

1. No propane or butane lighters of any type stored outside in the storage bench box.
2. No propane tanks (full or empty) in the storage bench box.
3. Never buy lighters from the Dollar Store.
4. Whenever possible, place composite patio boxes in shaded area of patio.

Excellent post !
Thanks for the heads up.

It's about containment, it seems.
For example, modern smokeless gun powder is considered a propellant.
When lit unconstrained it fizzles...when lit while constrained within a cartridge, it explodes.

Your patio chest was the cartridge.

You were going to go yell at a kid for lighting off fireworks? Man, how old or grumpy are you? ;-)

How many lighters did you have in there and how big were they? Many a time have I thrown a cheap brand new lighter into the fire pit and the "explosion" isn't all that impressive. I seriously doubt that even 5 of them together (taped to the side of the tank) would be enough to set off a propane tank.

Granted, no reason to risk it and I'd agree that leaving a package of them out to melt under the sun isn't a good idea.

Scary, sounds like a home made bomb scenario some shouldn't know about. Also, sounds like a potential lawsuit if something worst happened.

You were going to go yell at a kid for lighting off fireworks? Man, how old or grumpy are you? ;-)

Chris V: I LOVE fireworks, but I live in an inner-city area area where homes are only about 10 feet apart. It is unsafe to blow off fireworks in such a densely populated neighborhood. We had two windows blown out a couple years ago from an errant bottle rocket (from the same neighbor kids!) that cost me $650 to replace, so I'm not real tolerant when it comes to fireworks.. Besides, ALL fireworks are illegal in Seattle.

Grumpy old man? No.
Old: Yes.

Back