A Story of WSM Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I want to share a story with you that makes me feel so good about this Web site and the part that all of us play in helping fellow WSM enthusiasts.

I got an e-mail a few days ago from a woman I'll call "R.Y." She wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">I've had a Weber Smokey Mountain for many years. I probably bought it in the mid-1980's and had it up for sale (I'd bought an electric smoker) when I came across your Web site. I used the Bullet sporadically with good results, but was never able to figure out how to control the temperature.

Your site was so clear that I pulled it out of the carport and back onto the deck. I'm going to give it another test run tomorrow following your instructions. Thank goodness you saved it from a terrible fate!

Wish me luck tomorrow,
R.Y.</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I replied and wished her the best of luck. Here's the message I received this morning:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">Hi Chris,

Well, I can't tell you how ecstatic I am with the results of my cooking session yesterday. Your recommendation of The Renowned Mr. Brown was right on target - this was the best barbecue I've ever made, but most of the credit goes to you and your Web site.

This was the first time that I've ever felt I had any control over the temperatures and the whole process was really quite easy, considering that it was my first time with your method. I hadn't used my SMC in at least 8 years. Thank goodness I didn't sell it! Now, what do I do with my Meco electric smoker?

Kudos to you for the exceptional job you've done with your VWB Web site! I can hardly wait to fire up my bullet again.

R.Y.</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm so gratified that this Web site has the power to motivate someone to pull an old, dusty WSM out of a carport and into the backyard and gives them the information they need to successfully make good barbecue on their very first try.

I'm feeling a great sense of satisfaction today as a result of this story, and I wanted to share that feeling with you. Thanks for indulging me.

I also want to thank each of you for your participation in this bulletin board. Your generous support of one another through your postings is helping to build an online WSM community that I am very proud to be a part of.

Best regards,
Chris

P.S. I told R.Y. to keep the Meco electric smoker for making beef jerky.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 08-12-2001).]

I want to commend you for producing a fantastic web site! One of the best and informative web sites I have ever witnessed. I have used your site as a reference guide in my bbq travails. I have learned a great deal from yourself and the helpful members of this forum. Keep up the great work I deeply appreciate it!!

Chris, I'm glad you were able to experience in such a direct way what your efforts have been for, but I'm here to tell you that her experience has probably been repeated many times by the people posting on this board. I would not have bought a WSM if it wasn't for this web site. Having bought it, I also was able to produce some great BBQ, because of the info here.

Thanks for all you effort.

Doug W.

Good morning Chris:
Ditto to Doug's comments; your admin of the site is 'par excellence' and the knowledge sharing among the site members is unrivaled!
?.John

Chris,
The sentiments RY expresses pretty much sums up the way the rest of us Bullet-Heads feel about your great site. Women are just so much better at expressing feelings...

Don't for a second think we don't appreciate your efforts and the comments and guidance you (and the veterans) so freely offer. I, for one, thank you!

Peace. Out.

Alan

I can echo what everone else says. I had been thinking about the Bullet for a long time. Finding this WEB site is what convinced me to take the plunge. Haven't regretted it for one second.
This site is usually the first one I check out each day when I power up the old computer. It's always interesting to hear what others have to say. Thanks.
BG

I too was convinced by this great site to get a WSM. The problem was that Weber doesn't sell them over here in Spain, so I ordered one from Smokin' Steve on the Net. Unfortunately, the smoker got as far as the east coast before the post office decided that they couldn't send such a big box abroad!

As it happened I was planning a trip to the States, and Steve shipped it to me in Southern California. I brought it back with me on the plane. We had to tie it on the roof of a taxi in Madrid.

Thanks for the great site. And thanks to Smokin' Steve for sticking with me and for giving me a great price on the smoker. I highly recommend his company.

Mr S.

I'll repeat all that.
This site kicks ***.
It just makes you proud to be a bullethead.
Thanks Chris for all the work it's really appreciated.
John

Ha!

Not only do you support shakey neophites in the early stages of smokehood; you snatch back old WSMs from the clutches of yard-sale death!!! It's stupendous!! It's terrific!! It's Super WSM Man!!

Sorry to be so gushy. This site is awesome.

Cheers,

Scott.

I agree, what a site. I was looking at a BGE until I found this site. Went through every post and realized that the WSM was for me. Thanks again for all of the wonderful info.

Chris

I first found this site when I was searching for help with problems I was having producing bbq on a Brinkmann Gourmet. I found the information I needed to resolve my difficulties, and became aware of the superior design of the WSM.

The information provided here gave me the confidence to purchase a WSM sight unseen over the net, as I had not been able to locate one to inspect.

Without this site, I may very well have given up.

P.S. Meco's make great targets!

Just like to add my comments to all the others... This site is awesome - as well as ALL the members... When I cooked on the WSM for the first time, I know I asked what I thought were some pretty stupid questions... Yet, NO one made me feel that way... Just the opposite...
I appreciate all the help I have received from here... I am not the best on this thing by any means, yet I feel I am getting better with every cook !!
I would also like to add my comments about Chris, and his work on the site... He said he did all this in his spare time, so he deserves MANY a pat on the back, not just for giving us his time, but for the excellent way in which he does it!!!
Also, a couple months ago when all the talk was going around about the Nu-Temp digital thermometers at Costco, I asked for a voluteer to get one for me and ship it to me... Chris was the first to volunteer (among a couple others)... He went and got it - shipped it to me... A few days later I mentioned to him that I wish I had just got 2 , and he said no problem, he had got a couple extra.. So he made another trip to the post office to send me the second...
Thanks again Chris, I sure am happy to have thme both !!!

Just to add my congrats for this great site. Has saved me from lots of disasters(not all though)
Buzz in Wis

Well, I hate to be a wet rag on all this unbridled enthusiasm but... Holy Smokes, had you all going there! Just another smoke-head chiming in to say what I've said before - this web site, and the community it nourishes, IS the promise of the internet. It's logical, intuitive, easy-to-use and a lot of fun to visit often. Not to mention the plethora of very useful knowledge that is shared among all levels of skill. Wow. Chris, my appreciation, and the mighty fine 'Q' that's resulted, salute you.

BeerBoy

Chris,
I had been interested in barbeque for quite some time, but being a native of Massachusetts, I was basically lost. I won a cheap water smoker from work, but things didn't really start to work out for me until I found this site. Of course, I had to run out and buy my WSM, and it is one of the best investments that I have ever made. This site is excellent. Myself and my family have gotten hours of enjoyment out of barbecue, and it is basically because of your hard work and the information on this site. Kudos to you brother, keep up the great work!

Chris-

I just want to add my appreciation to your efforts. It was your site and this board that convinced me to get the WSM. Keep up the excellent work!

Ken

Chris,
I can empathise with RY. The old smoker I had hadn't been used is years. Three weeks ago I threw it away. I gave $39 for it new so you can imagine what kind of smoker it was. I had been reading this site for several weeks, it inspired me to go on a WSM hunt. I finally found one last week, a display in an Ace hardware store that still had the Christmas ribbon on it!! Bought it, and thanks to you, your site, and the veterans who are willing to share their knowledge I'm back to Q'ing and enjoying it. My family enjoys it too!! Thanks a bunch!!

------------------
JT

Chris,
Between you, and Jim Minion, of the Minion Method, more folks are enjoying their WSM than ever before.

My LITTLE brother in Alaska uses his almost daily--feeding the hordes at his work. I am anxious to see how it does this winter, when the temps drop to minus 40. Brrrr.

dale

Chris - if it were not for your site I never would have purchased my WSM, my entire family wants to thank you!.

This is really a great group of "smoke heads" and I have learned a heck of a lot - I check the posts several times a day starting at four in the morning when I get up for my glass of water.

In closing I hope your job at HP is still intack, you have been in my prayers.

Best regards,
Steve Ries

[This message has been edited by NJ Steve (edited 08-22-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back