A Smoking Vacation - need some ideas

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Tomorrow morning the family and I are heading off to Keuka Lake (a local NYS finger lake) for a weeks worth of rest and relaxation and fun in the water.

There's no doubt the WSM and SJP are coming along for the ride.

I need some ideas for some cooks. I'm definitely doing spares. I've not yet done the St. Louie style spares and I'm looking forward to trying that cook out. I've also not yet done a chuck roll, so I'm picking up one of those bad boys too.

No doubt I should also bring the foodsaver and a big roll of bags :)

Ideas, ideas, ideas!!!! Please? I've been too darn busy in life and work to think much about it this week!

Thanks,
Todd

A couple fatties for breakfast, ABT's, brats... Mmmmmm. Can I come?
icon_wink.gif

Bill

LOL, you sure can Bill!!! :) Good call, I do enjoy a good fattie :) All of those are now added to my list.

Meant to ask you...have you ever eaten at, I think it's called Kentucky Greg's Hickory Pit? over on George Urban between Transit and Dick Rd? The place looks mom and pop, and I've driven by it a number of times, but have never stopped in. Also, do you ever hit up sloan super market (www.sloansupermarket.com) over off Broadway?

Todd

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Haven't been there but I've tried the Brickyard Pub up in Lewiston which was ok to good but no smoke flavor. I've been meaning to check Sloan out but haven't. I do head over to the Food Terminal at Clinton and Bailey several times a year. The SausageMaker is in there too and they have a huge farmers market across the street.

Bill

EDIT: Added a few links

How about a higher heat cook with Cornish Game Hens?

Ever since I was a kid I always associate those midget-chickens with being outdoors by a lake. I like the fact that though they are easy, they usually have a big impact and make everyone feel like they are attending some sort of medieval feast.

I second the Cornish Hens! Easy to make and you should be able to stick two of them on a Smokey Joe. I`m going to Cape Hatteras, NC next week and bringing my 22 1/2 Silver One Touch!

Enjoy!

Kentucky Greg's Hickory Pit

Ok I have been going out to the Buffalo area for 13 years now visiting the inlaws and outlaws and I get off at the Depew exit and have never seen this place. Heading out there in August may have to try it. And maybe treat myself to some smallie fishing on Erie.

Ended up doing 3 cooks. 6 racks of spares, 6 - half chickens, and a 20-lbs chuck roll. With a splashing of fatties and brats. All turned out great. 3 for 3 as my brother-in-law said.

Bill, thanks for those links. I can't believe I didn't remember or maybe I never even knew about the Food Terminal and farmers market. That place is like 7 miles from my house.

Todd

Meant to ask you...have you ever eaten at, I think it's called Kentucky Greg's Hickory Pit? over on George Urban between Transit and Dick Rd? The place looks mom and pop, and I've driven by it a number of times, but have never stopped in. Also, do you ever hit up sloan super market (www.sloansupermarket.com) over off Broadway?

Kentucky greg's is about the best bbq around. Its real bbq, you can smell wood burning as soon as you hit the parking lot. I highly recommend the ribs and the beef brisket. I heard the gumbo is good too. The only other place that you need to try, if you havent, is Donnie's smokehouse on fillmore ave. Those are about the only places I get bbq.

Sloan market has great prices and nice meat but see this post:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/6130098165

they certainly were cool about returning the meat, but I'm always going to check my meat before I leave the store.

I usually can get flank steak for half of wegs sells it for. I got some niced corned beef there in march. And they sell bb by the case at 2.99/lb (30-40 lb case) that I'm trying to justify buying.

Fatties would be great for breakfast. It not smoking but a good ole grilled hamburger is hard to beat. Sausage and hot dogs or brats.

Todd, Glad to hear it all worked out. Got pics??
icon_razz.gif
That place is just over 20 minutes from here, straight down the 190, and it's always worth the trip.
icon_cool.gif

j biesinger
nickel city smokers
I see the reference now .. The old Buffalo Nickel.
icon_wink.gif
You should update your profile to include your location. Welcome to the board.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I see the reference now .. The old Buffalo Nickel. Wink You should update your profile to include your location. Welcome to the board. Cool

Thanks for the welcome, and the tip. I just updated my location, I must of missed it first time around because I was wondering how everyone had their locations listed.

Its good to see 716 represented here, I love to share info about local food resources, and I am always looking for new ones.

To stay on topic, I'd suggest you smoke a turkey. One of my favorite smokes, is a bird soaked in a brine spiked with oj and chipotles, with a nice spicy chipotle rub. Slice it on a fajita with some homemade sour cream and you're in business.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I see the reference now .. The old Buffalo Nickel. Wink You should update your profile to include your location. Welcome to the board. Cool

Thanks for the welcome, and the tip. I just updated my location, I must of missed it first time around because I was wondering how everyone had their locations listed.

Its good to see 716 represented here, I love to share info about local food resources, and I am always looking for new ones.

To stay on topic, I'd suggest you smoke a turkey. One of my favorite smokes, is a bird soaked in a brine spiked with oj and chipotles, with a nice spicy chipotle rub. Slice it on a fajita with some homemade sour cream and you're in business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've smoked turkey breast but not the whole bird. Awesome !!

Your fajita sounds great .. You should share some of your recipes in the recipe sections. Also, you might want to consider heading out to Oinktoberfest at the end of September, either as an amature or pro competitor OR, just as a spectator. Lot's to do if you have kids and it's a great time (if the weather holds
icon_razz.gif
)

Bill

Your fajita sounds great .. You should share some of your recipes in the recipe sections. Also, you might want to consider heading out to Oinktoberfest at the end of September, either as an amature or pro competitor OR, just as a spectator. Lot's to do if you have kids and it's a great time (if the weather holds Razzer )

I've attended oinktoberfest twice, and competed last year with my brother-in-law and a coworker for the first time, as r2-bq, I think we came in 27 out of 50. We already have our spot reserved for this year as nickel city smokers. I only had a wsm for about 6 months last year, so I'm expecting us to show a little better after a full year of practicing.

I'd bet breasts would be great to smoke, since you wouldn't have to worry about get the dark meat done, but you miss out on the legs which end up to be the best part on a smoked bird.

Bill - can you believe it, in the midst of the hurricane of packing up the truck, we forgot our cameras....dummies we were....so no pics I'm sorry to say.

jb - I saw your reference to nickel city smokers in another post the other day and it made me wonder if you were from around Buffalo. Glad you are and welcome to the board, this is a great place.

And it is great to see posts from 716!

Oh wow, ya, it was that stinky pork post I read yesterday where I saw your Nickel City reference...bummer that the pork ended up being from Sloan Super Market. I've not yet had any issues with their meat, but I guess it can happen. The wife just renewed our BJ's membership last week, so I'll probably get the pork butts from their now, but I still like the prices of the back and spare ribs at Sloan. Before my trip I went there and picked up 3 - 2 packs of spares and they gave me the case price on it (1.49/lb) even though the case is supposed to be 4 - 2 packs. I also got the chuck roll there and that was a good hunk of meat. The smallest they had was a 20 pounder, 1.99/lb or maybe it was 2.09/lb, either way it was around $45.

I've done the bone-in turkey breasts a couple of times....delish...but I've yet to do a full bird too.

I definitely want to hit oinktoberfest this year as a spectator and check it out. Hopefully I can hook up with you and Bill there and meet you guys.

Thanks for the reviews on the restaurants, I'm kinda excited about checking those two places out now.

Todd

Oh wow, ya, it was that stinky pork post I read yesterday where I saw your Nickel City reference...bummer that the pork ended up being from Sloan Super Market. I've not yet had any issues with their meat, but I guess it can happen. The wife just renewed our BJ's membership last week, so I'll probably get the pork butts from their now, but I still like the prices of the back and spare ribs at Sloan. Before my trip I went there and picked up 3 - 2 packs of spares and they gave me the case price on it (1.49/lb) even though the case is supposed to be 4 - 2 packs. I also got the chuck roll there and that was a good hunk of meat. The smallest they had was a 20 pounder, 1.99/lb or maybe it was 2.09/lb, either way it was around $45.

I still like sloan a lot. The counter help aren't too helpful but if you confuse them enough, they'll bring out a butcher. The last butcher I talked to was awesome, he helped me set up a bone-in pork loin by sawing off the chine bone and tying it back on so I could take off chops as I wished or smoke it whole (which I'm itching to do). You can't beat their flank steak prices. I'm just going to be wary of anything cryo'd.

good to know about the spares, did you have to request the deal, or did they offer? Just thinking, but I might be interested in splitting up a case of bb from sloan (2.99/lb 30-40 lb ave) if anyone else is. I might do bb's at ointoberfest, which means I'll need a bit but not a whole case.

chuck roll sounds interesting. I see it talked about. I'll have to do some research and see if it something I should smoke.

Btw, Donnie's isn't in the best neighborhood but his place is really nice. It's probably easiest to access it from the science museum exit on the 33 (jefferson/best) and I pretty sure its on jefferson, NOT fillmore like I previously stated. He's not open sun-tues. If Bill has competed at Oinktoberfest, then he'll know Donnie, he won something like 5 years in a row. Donnie takes some heat from the other competitors because he vends at the comp, so they think he switches his comp entry meat, but I don't care because I aint going to win, and the meat at his place is great. It funny to see locals debate where the best bbq is mentioning mediocre places like one eyed jacks, valley inn, bw, al-e-oops, and Donnie's never gets mentioned.

chuck roll sounds interesting

When I went to sloan this last time, I had never bought spares from them yet and simply asked how many were in a cryo. Two people were helping me and said 2 spares per cryo and I said I needed 3 packages or 6 total spares then. They said I would be better off buying a case of 4 cryo's to get the case price. I said ok, no problem. But, then they kinda talked to each other and then said they could give me the case price on just 3 packages. So that was pretty cool of them.

I wonder if one of the butchers would trim them to St. Louis style for me? And how much that might increase the cost. I loved doing the spares, but I don't find a lot of enjoyment in prepping those bad boys.

I might be interested in splitting a case of bb with you, but just give me a couple weeks heads up from when you might be wanting to do that.

Interesting story about Donnie, maybe I'll head over there for lunch some day, I'm already in a bad neighborhead where I work at Buff State anyway :)

beef chuck roll = pulled pork butt, but beef, LOL. It was great. It came out a lot better than a 3 lbs chuck roast I tried to do the same thing with a few months ago.

Todd

I wonder if one of the butchers would trim them to St. Louis style for me? And how much that might increase the cost. I loved doing the spares, but I don't find a lot of enjoyment in prepping those bad boys.

I'm sure they would, they tend to get suspicious when I tell them that I want to cut something myself. I like doing it myself and it tends to be a pain to explain things to counter help who then have to explain it to the butchers.

I've been really enjoying bb's but I actually liked trimming spares. Once I trimmed 3 spare racks from sloan into st louis and ground up the trimmings into almost 3 lbs of ground pork! It made great breakfast sausage.

JB & Todd,

I've met Donnie and yeah, there's always a lot of chit chat about him at the Oink. I never competed out ther but I've been out from time to time and hung with a team or two. I know several of the teams / members that compete there every year. I don't think Donnie has won it straight 5 years though .. I think he had a bad year in the middle of that, but I could be wrong. I think his secret is that he knows what the locals like and cooks his bbq to suit and even though I didn't think his que was all that great, the judges, most of whom are from the surrounding area, DO! LOL

I'm willing to head back out there this year BUTT, I'm a fair weather fan and if the weather ain't cooperating, I ain't comin' !! LOL

Bill

Back