A short story about today’s bacon...

What were all your steps and what did you learn?

Just posted the link I was referring to, but specifically I had a 5.2 lb skinless pork belly from Costco. Cured it for 7 days with Morton’s Tender Quick plus 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Cured in the refrigerator for 7 days, flipping every day. Rinsed it and let it dry for about an hour. Put it on the smoker at 175° until it reaches internal temperature of 145° after about 5 1/2 hours. Let it rest, then back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, and then sliced it.

I have to try this soon.

Any recommendations for a container during the curing process that fits nicely in the / any fridge?

Been using Bob's recipe and Tender Quick for a few years and it always works well. I apply the TQ first then a slurry of brown sugar, pure maple syrup and cinnamon. Follow the curing instructions smoke with a blend of Pit Boss All Natural Charcoal Traditional Blend and Weber's Apple pellets on the Camp Chef. Great stuff.
Barb and I just finished up vacuum sealing 53 bags of six slices in each bag bacon and 23 of four in each bag of Canadian bacon, we're good for the winter.

Now working on Bob's "jerky by the book" great beef jerky. Made this quite a few times and can't get enough of it. Although I do eliminate the two Tsp. of salt, for me the soy gives it enough salt.

I’d better get on this bacon train pretty soon!
I highly recommend getting on it. Took my first trip Saturday and it wont be my last!

Also, want to thank Rich for including his detailed instructions.
I plan on adding cinnamon to my slurry, and will also add Canadian bacon to the cook!

I highly recommend getting on it. Took my first trip Saturday and it wont be my last!

Also, want to thank Rich for including his detailed instructions.
I plan on adding cinnamon to my slurry, and will also add Canadian bacon to the cook!
Here is the mixture I use for a full slab of pork belly.

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbs. of ground cinnamon

Mix together to form a slurry and coat the bacon after applying the Tender Quick.
Follow the curing instructions.
Once you get on the bacon train you'll never want to get off it.

Back