A little brisket

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
A couple months ago I picked up a couple of packer briskets. One was 13lbs and the other one was only 8lbs.
Earlier in the week my wife told me it was time for some more BBQ so I put the little one in the fridge to thaw.
I intended to try a hot-n-fast cook but around 8:00 last night I decided to stick with what I know and started getting the WSM ready for an all nighter.
I had left over charcoal and it was enough to fill the chimney about 3/4 full so I put that on the side burner of the gasser to get it started.
I used one 15# bag of KBB poured around my minion can. I guess it was a full load of charcoal but if I hadn't had the left over to start the fire with it would have been a little light.
While the chimney was getting started I prepped the little brisket.
About the only fat I cut off of it was the chunk of hard decile fat, and there was quite a bit of silver skin cleanup to do.
I used my regular SPOG seasoning and picked out some good chunks of applewood.
By now the chimney was full on blazing (I forgot about it) and when I noticed it out the window I rushed to take care of it. Note to self: a) don't forget about the chimney b) if you are using left over charcoal in the chimney it's not as big as fresh charcoal c) a full blazing chimney of left over charcoal will drop little embers d) DONT BE AN IDIOT, STOP AND PUT SHOES ON.
Oh well, at least the sparks and embers were little and there were no recording devices around to document a fatboy doing the hotfoot tango.
Once the unexpected excitement of pouring the chimney into the minion can was over I put the wood chunks on, set my vents and let the WSM heat up a little bit.
Around 10:00 the brisket went on and the WSM settled in around 210-215.
I set the under/over temp alarms at 200 and 235 and when I got up around 7ish the WSM was running at 205 and the meat probe was at 147.
After some pondering I opened a second vent just a crack.
Eventually the WSM got up to 250ish (sorry about the ishes but I wasn't keeping a log this time) and I shut the second vent.
I probed the meat with a skewer when it was 167 just to feel it, the decile actually probed sorta ok, the flat was of course still hard.
I probed again around 11:00 (meat temp was 180) and was surprised that the brisket probed tender, I am glad I didn't wait later or until the meat probe hit 190 or it would have been over cooked.
I wrapped it in foil and put it on the counter.
It didn't stay wrapped very long, the dog and the wife both showed up in the kitchen, they smelled it and came to get some.
We sliced some off the flat for sandwiches and it is a really good brisket.
Tender, moist, the fat rendered just right, smokiness spot on.
Since the WSM was still running at 220 I put some sausages on along with a couple fresh chunks of applewood.
I left the sausages on until around 1:00, they look really good but no one has tried them yet.
If you made it to the end thanks for looking.
No pics, flickr changed the way the VBcode is displayed and I cannot copy it using the iPad.

Nice cook. The low internal temp was due to the low chamber temp. As chamber temp increases, so does the finished IT. This is because the breaking down of the connective tissues is a function of temperature over time.

Back