A journey to Super Bowl XLIX? 22 lb whole shoulder in the wings

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Well, I guess today maybe was the beginning of a trek which may take us to Super Bowl XLIX. Found this beaut on sale (after being marked down from $3.99/lb) -- what was the meat guy thinking? :confused:

From last year's post, I cooked this behemoth (about 1-2 lbs. smaller than this year's) in 18 hours to 195 internal. Made lots of sammies and pork carnitas with habanero & pineapple salsa:

Stay tuned for updates when I nail down an early 2015 cook date. :wsm:

It's on. Just put about 5 cups of Dr. BBQ's pork injection (apple/pineapple juice base) into this baby. Put to bed in a hotel tray in the bottom of the fridge. Last year's 20 lb'er took 18 hours to get to temp, although, with my new Tel-Tru grate gauge, I'm guessing I ran a little high last year. Planning on closer to 24 hours this year. I think some folks might call it LOW & SLOW. :rolleyes: :wsm:

Thats gonna be a good hunk of meat! I have a 25 lb fresh ham in the deep freezer. I couldnt pass it up when I saw it on sale. havent had a get together big enough to use it yet. Do you know how long that will take to defrost?

Thats gonna be a good hunk of meat! I have a 25 lb fresh ham in the deep freezer. I couldnt pass it up when I saw it on sale. havent had a get together big enough to use it yet. Do you know how long that will take to defrost?

I pulled mine from the deep freeze last Saturday. It was thawed completely in 6 days.

Thank you, Jim Minion.

Going in. Used some left over Meathead's (Memphis?) Magic Dust and a commercial brand I got for Christmas. The MMD has no salt so I added a little salt and coarse BP and called it good. (Boy, it's sure nice not being wound as tight as when I first got a smoker. ;)) Trying for 225-250 at grate. Projecting 20-24 hours, but the truth is "Who the heck knows!" Anyhow, wish me luck. Here's something that might reach "Beast Mode" status!

That is one heck of a piece of meat. Love where that cook is going.

I have great respect for you guys/gals that do 24+ hour cooks. Great comittment.

Hey, everyone. Wasn't trying to build suspense! Just been crazy busy and fighting an epic bug. I had one pic of the finished product (think: meteorite) but no plated pictures. The meat? In general, it was good. Lot of picnic-type meat which you know is different than the butt. Tends to be "chunkier," if that makes sense.

Truth is... I had some difficulty with this cook. Temps got too high in middle of the night (I stuffed it full of mesquite prior to going to bed--it had been going for about 10 hours by then and I worried it wouldn't stay hot enough until morning). I shouldn't have used the mesquite; that's the flavor that predominantly came through.

That said, no one complained. We made sandwiches on King's Hawaiian rolls and used it in carnitas tacos (as well as a pozole soup for leftovers). Live & learn!

Back